Moving VM from Corral

Status
Not open for further replies.

asc72

Dabbler
I built a Linux Mint VM in Corral and looking to move to 11. I would prefer not to rebuild the virtual machine. Is it possible to load the VM in 11 and if so any guides on how to do it? I built it using the GUI in 10, so I am not well versed in the command-line interface.

Last edited by a moderator:

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
I would try creating a new VM with settings that as closely as possible match the original, particularly the hard drive. Don't turn it on or attach an iso.

Then you should do a dd if=oldvmharddrivefile of=newvmharddrivefile bs=1(M or m)

If it runs successfully, you can delete the old files.

short-stack

Explorer
It's easy and requires no crazy commands.

In the 9.10/11 GUI click the VMs icon, and click 'Add VM'.

Give it a name, description, and set your CPUs/RAM. Make sure the boot method is UEFI, and click 'OK'.

Click on the VM you just created and then click on 'Devices' down on the bottom.

Click 'Add Device'. Select the VM you just created, and then for 'Type' choose 'Disk'.

Once you select 'Disk' you'll see a drop down list with all of the ZVols FreeNAS found, all of the disks you created in Corral should be in this list. Choose the disk for the VM you are re-creating.

Boot it up, connect to VNC, profit.

asc72

Dabbler
Thanks for the help. I was able to create the VM and add the ZVOL, but when I start the VM, VNC can't connect. It was created with a template if that makes a difference.

short-stack

Explorer
Thanks for the help. I was able to create the VM and add the ZVOL, but when I start the VM, VNC can't connect. It was created with a template if that makes a difference.

Being a template shouldn't matter.

What might is the OS. I've had varying degrees of success with different VNC clients from my Mac/iPhone. OS X built in Screen Sharing won't connect to anything, and RealVNC will connect to a Windows Guest VM but not a Linux Guest VM. The only thing that I've found thus far that works on everything is the TightVNC java based client found here: http://www.tightvnc.com/download/2.8.3/tvnjviewer-2.8.3-bin-gnugpl.zip

asc72

Dabbler
I was able to get it to work, I had to make sure I had enough memory (I set it too low the first time). I found the same thing with VNC. I can use RealVNC when I start a Linux VM, but it won't work after I disconnect and try to reconnect. TightVNC fixed my problem as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.