Moving the system to a new drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpaytoncfd

Cadet
Well I am a NOOB but I honestly just didn't know if this belonged in storage or installation. Anyway, I used a 40gb sata as my installation drive. I know I know make fun of me get it out of your system. lol. I actually really like it this way. The web interfaces seem so much faster however I only have 4 drive bays and 4 SATA. (well I have two more on a cheap ebay raid card but I do not know if it works in freeNAS. So I now have a class 10 16gb SD card. and I think this should make a pretty good install drive. The USB stick I tried just sucked. it failed to boot the first three times. So how do i or can i transfer my installation from the 40 to the SD card. Maybe using a ultimate boot cd? just copy and tell the BOIS to boot from the SD? I am not all that good in linux so please dumb it down for me or I will just have a blank stare.

THanks in advance!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So let me get this straight.. you installed FreeNAS and got it working. But you have no idea how you can restore your system if your boot drive fails? Why wasn't this at the top of your "stuff I need to make sure i know how to recover from" when you first started using FreeNAS.

BTW.. the answer is in the FreeNAS manual.

jpaytoncfd

Cadet
No, the system is 100% (well 90%) working. But I want to use a different device for the install. I have several plugins, shares, and configuration items that would be nice to not have to redo. I know I can just install on the SD card and import the volume and I had found where the settings are stored so I can restore thoes but what about the plugin jail? What about the difference in install media. SATA Vs USB. This is a home hobby project. That is why I have no data redundancy or mirrors ect. everything saved on the NAS can be restored. so I would rather be able to utilize the whole storage.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your plugin jail should be installed somewhere besides the boot drive. I'm not sure how you'd even install a jail on the boot drive since there is about 5MB free on the boot partition.

So you have the basics down.. install to your USB stick, import the config file, and all should be working.

If you have your config file you won't even have to import your zpool.

So I guess the answer to your question is "You know what you are doing... give it a try and see how easy it really is". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.