Moving the jail to a new storage disk on the same machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uutzinger

Dabbler
Q: Is it possible to move the jail to a different drive/storage on the same machine without loosing the jail and its functionality?

It appears one could rename the plugins jail path and plugins archive path in the GUI.
However I wonder whether there is problem with file access privileges and if there is recommended way to copy/transfer the jail.

The reason I am interested in doing that is because I realize that my storage drives do not appear to spin down (go into energy save mode) and that is most likely because I allocated space on same data storage also for the jail and it would have been better to install the jail on separate disk.

Thanks
Urs

darkryoushii

Explorer
hate to revive a dead thread but I'm wondering the same thing, drives aren't spinning down no matter what I try.. If I manually spin them down then they pop back up seconds later.

Can chuck in a single W.D. green but need to know how to move them, or if I should just remove the jail and then rebuild it in the new system.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
AFAIK there is no way to move the jail. While you could easily move the contents, the FreeNAS database would have to be manually edited and updated accordingly. That is, assuming there aren't 10 major pitfalls to moving the files. I'm not a jail expert though.

Either way, even if it were possible I don't think its something I'd recommend for someone asking how to do it. Its likely far more complex than you and I think and you are more likely to have problems than it go smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.