Moving HDDs After Setting up ZFS Raidz1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBobC

Dabbler
I set up a RAIDz1 on my FreeNAS 8 setup in a Norco RPC-4220 which holds 20 drives, like this:
x x x x
x x x x
x x x x
x x x x
x x x x

I created a 5-disc zfs raidz1 with 5 2tb drives in the following spots:
z x x x
z x x x
z x x x
z x x x
z x x x

But then I decided to put one of those discs inside the case and line the rest up on top, like so:
z z z z
x x x x
x x x x
x x x x
x x x x

In doing so, I then set up a different 8-disc raidz2 of 1.5TB HDDS like so:

z z z z
x x x x
x x x x
t t t t
t t t t

I anticipate adding another 8-disc raidz2 of 1.5TB HDDs in the very near future. Here is my question. Since moving the discs above labeled "z," I have been having constant hdd activity in my reporting tab, and it also does not respond as quickly as the the other set of drives, labeled "t." I am wondering if that just means they are reconfiguring to be in the different ports and it will eventually stop, or if there is a problem because they were moved. In storage configuration, when I list discs in the "z" series, they are still listed in the original position where I created them and do not reflect the different controller they were all moved to. They were originally created in ports ada0, da1, da2, da3, and da4. They are now housed in ports ada0, ada1, ada2, ada3, and ada4, but it is not reflected in the setup. Do I have to empty the drives and re-create the array with them in their new place, or will this correct itself? If I've left anything out, please ask for it, this my first experience with FreeNAS. Also, why didn't I just put them the way they are now the first time? I didn't think of it. Why did I move them at all? Because this way when the activity lights are on it is easier for me to know which set of drives has activity (and some OCD, too).

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
If you have move the disks while the volume was already created you have a big problem in your hands... 8.0 was not in a good shape to handle disks port changes...
My suggest is to you wait for -BETA2 or 8.0.1 - final and then export and reimport all your volumes back to fix it...

Remember, gpt label like this: gpt/ada0 does not necessary means it is being mapped to /dev/ada0...

MrBobC

Dabbler
Thanks for the tip. Actually, what I have considered doing is moving the data from the 5 2TB HDDs and putting it in the new 8-disk array of 1.5TB drives, deleting the 5-disc array, and then re-creating it and moving everything back. In theory, that should be fine, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.