Moving from OpenMediaVault to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheoxy

Dabbler
WARNING: My setup is leftover parts and added HDD's from my old gaming rig.

So I'm currently using 2.1.20 (Stone burner) and I'm getting annoying bugs all the time. Mostly this is just plugins not working annoying permission issues.

My Setup:
  • Gigabyte Motherboard (GA-880G-UD3H)
  • 16GB Ram
  • AMD CPU (Phenom II X6 1055T)
  • OS USB (San Disk Ultra Fit 32GB)
  • 6x2TB HDD RaidZ2 ZFS (Range of brands from WD to Sea Gate).

I know this setup is a little smashed together but I've been running Arch Linux mainly on it and recently OpenMediaVault. I wanted a change from Arch Linux just because I wanted it to run Headless and I couldn't get FreeNas to work at the time due to 9.3 not supporting my motherboard due to the partition changes to GPT.

I'm hoping to upgrade my motherboard and ram following the FreeNas Hardware Recommendations Guide with:
And maybe get the power supply changed to a lower wattage from 750W. I'm aiming to reduce power consumption.
I'm also aiming to have it turn on at 6am and then turnoff at 10:30pm if its idle.

I don't have a spare screen so I'll need to do a complete headless install of FreeNas 9.2.1.9 to the OS USB.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: As above, in the meantime I'd like to install FreeNas 9.2.1.9 until I have the savings to update not only my hardware but FreeNas to 9.3.1.

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I'm also aiming to have it turn on at 6am and then turnoff at 10:30pm if its idle.
Many members would argue that this will kill your system faster than leaving it on 24/7.
I don't have a spare screen so I'll need to do a complete headless install
You can do the install on any system - just double-check that you're writing to the correct device if you use a machine that has anything else on it.

Pheoxy

Dabbler
Many members would argue that this will kill your system faster than leaving it on 24/7.

You can do the install on any system - just double-check that you're writing to the correct device if you use a machine that has anything else on it.
Thanks, unfortunately I need to turn off the nas when I'm asleep to save on the powerbill. It chews threw it like crazy and as I stated I'm hoping to upgrade soon anyway.

I also don't have any other hard drives to copy my files on the nas to. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have to worry by just exporting Zfs and then importing after FreeNas has been installed and plugged in if I'm right?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
What you save on the power bill you'll lose it on drives replacement.

No backup? that's a bad idea, RAID doesn't replace backup :)

JDCynical

Contributor
I would point out that the 'chewing through the power' is probably caused by your current system more than anything else.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/10

The test system in that link is very similar to what you are running now. Idle, it pulls 122 watts. Yes, the graphics card is in there as well, but even so, the board and CPU you have right now are pulling a lot more than the Avoton you are looking at.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7970/...eview-a-storage-motherboard-with-management/4

The chart there, with a beefier video card (but probably more efficient), shows that it pulls around 50 watts idle.

I would almost bet that once you get a more modern system assembled, your will find the power draw to be a lot less than you think.

Personally, when I think about someone turning off something as expensive as a NAS system just to save some power at the cost of more wear and tear on their drives, the phrase 'penny wise, pound foolish' comes to mind. Unless your electricity rates are stupid high, it's not worth it in the long run.

Pheoxy

Dabbler
I would point out that the 'chewing through the power' is probably caused by your current system more than anything else.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/10

The test system in that link is very similar to what you are running now. Idle, it pulls 122 watts. Yes, the graphics card is in there as well, but even so, the board and CPU you have right now are pulling a lot more than the Avoton you are looking at.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7970/...eview-a-storage-motherboard-with-management/4

The chart there, with a beefier video card (but probably more efficient), shows that it pulls around 50 watts idle.

I would almost bet that once you get a more modern system assembled, your will find the power draw to be a lot less than you think.

Personally, when I think about someone turning off something as expensive as a NAS system just to save some power at the cost of more wear and tear on their drives, the phrase 'penny wise, pound foolish' comes to mind. Unless your electricity rates are stupid high, it's not worth it in the long run.
I plan to leave it on after the upgrade, in the mean time I only earn just over $900 a fortnight and after rent and expense's I save very little. First thing I'm saving for is the upgrade as you said I do want to leave it on and stop the wear and tear and having to turn it on is a pain. But at the moment it's to noisy overnight. I have a tiny apartment as well so, kind of want to be able to sleep.

I'm definitely hopeing I can buy it after Christmas though and I'm looking around for a good backup system that's prebuilt as I'm not planning on running anything on it but to backup so I'm hoping to get it on the cheap.

When your only 21 and just starting out its a little tight. ;)

Thanks, just to clarify though as I understand it when exporting a zfs raidz2 it doesn't require a export location it just basically does the same thing as Windows USB eject right?

Bidule0hm

If you want to move the drives to another server then just shutdown this one, remove the drives, move them to the new server et boot the new server. You probably want to save the config from the old server (you should already have a backup of it BTW) and upload it to the new server. The only thing you may need to reconfigure is the NIC.

Pheoxy

Dabbler
If you want to move the drives to another server then just shutdown this one, remove the drives, move them to the new server et boot the new server. You probably want to save the config from the old server (you should already have a backup of it BTW) and upload it to the new server. The only thing you may need to reconfigure is the NIC.
Thanks, I'll probably start on this tomorrow and start backing up all my configs.
I'll have to wait until Friday before I can finally start installing FreeNas though. I want to make sure I've got plenty of time so if anything goes wrong I'm good.:rolleyes:

Bidule0hm

It's just a few clicks in the GUI: System --> General --> Save Config button.

Pheoxy

Dabbler
It's just a few clicks in the GUI: System --> General --> Save Config button.
I'm not at home to check, but that's with FreeNas right? I've never saw that option in openmediavault. You normally just backup the USB system partition with clonezilla.

Bidule0hm

Oh, sorry, didn't see you use OMV (yes, it's in the title, I've no excuses...)

Forget all I said in my previous two posts.

Pheoxy

Dabbler
So I finally got around to getting FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 installed. My ZFS pool version is higher than 9.2.1.9, so I've had to install NAS4Free in the mean time just to get to my shared files. Anyone know a way around that? I'd rather use FreeNAS.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Can't think of anything other than moving everything to a pool created in FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 (or some other system running an earlier version of ZFS.)

Pheoxy

Dabbler
NAS4Free 10 is currently using version 5000 or however it gets changed around on FreeBSD stuff. What does FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 use?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's not about the version, it's about the feature flags. You can't import (maybe read-only, depending on the feature flag) pools on systems that do not support the feature flags set on that pool.

Pheoxy

Dabbler
It's not about the version, it's about the feature flags. You can't import (maybe read-only, depending on the feature flag) pools on systems that do not support the feature flags set on that pool.
Am I able to update the FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 feature flags or zfs packages at all though?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.