Moving from Mirrored Pool to Striped Pool

JohnDeer92

Cadet
Hello I am Very new to Trunas, I did dapple a little while back but nothing serious.

I have 2 4TB HDDs mirrored. I thought this would be enough for a while, but I was wrong. I am looking at adding 1 or 2 more 4TB drives. I would like to switch to a striped version of ZFS where I would only lose one drive to parity.

I have looked into it a fair amount and only found old posts that say I cannot just slap the drives in and tell it to stripe instead of mirror. Is that true, would I need to copy/backup all of my data somewhere else and erase the pool and create a new one with the added drives?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is that true, would I need to copy/backup all of my data somewhere else and erase the pool and create a new one with the added drives?
Pretty much. If you're wanting to convert your pool to RAIDZ1, which is what it sounds like, that really is the only reasonably-safe way to do it (you can look through my resources for a rather dangerous way that could avoid the backup/restore, but I'll leave that to you). OTOH, if what you want is a purely striped pool, yes, it's possible to remove a disk from the mirror, and then add other disks as striped disks--though in that case, you'll have no redundancy at all.