Moving from 2 Disk Mirror to 3 Disk Z1

ManuLeaN

Cadet
Hi, i have the following scenario.

When I started with my NAS i only had one 4 TB drive that I used as Storage and later added anoter 4 TB Drive (clicked on expand pool) and as I expected the VDEV now is a mirror.

Im pretty sure that when I add a thrid drive that it will just be a three drive mirror.

Is there any way that without outright buying some storage elswhere, moving all the Data, and rebuilding the entire VDEV I can (even if risky) somehow add a third disk and get a Z1?

Alecmascot

Guru
Is there any way that without outright buying some storage elswhere, moving all the Data, and rebuilding the entire VDEV I can (even if risky) somehow add a third disk and get a Z1?
No

chuck32

Guru

I strongly discourage going that route, however for the sake of completeness I'll leave the link here:

Please invest in more storage (or temporarily use a cloud service) and do it properly. In general it would be good to have a backup.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
For me this falls into the category of "if you have to ask you REALLY shouldn't do it".

Arwen

MVP
For me this falls into the category of "if you have to ask you REALLY shouldn't do it".
I second this comment.

Basically we are not trying to stop you from doing it. However, we won't be responsible for any lost data. Nor to help "fix" the any problems after. In essence, we are conservative in how we treat our data.