Moving FreeNAS to New Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Hi, I had an answer to this on another post but as I am now posting from my smart phone (no more internet due to move) I cannot search for my posts.

Anyway before I move I need to swap out and ditch some of my PC collection. I want to move my FreeNAS onto a better MoBo setup.

It's currently on an old generic MoBo pulled from an Acer Aspire with and I want to move it to an ABit AN-M2HD with and AMD 64 x 2 4000 CPU.

The answer I had before was something like.
1. Save the config file.
2. Do a fresh install of the latest FreeNAS on a new USB Stick.
3. Move the Hardware.
4. Import the config file?

I have found out how to save the config file, but I am a bit anxious about trying a clean install (i dont have a spare USB stick anyway.

Can someone confirm the steps with and without a new USB stick and fresh install?

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Sorry just found out how to view my old posts on the mobile version of this site. I found the best answer here:
SmallGuy, Oct 2, 2013

1) Save your configuration thru the Freenas GUI settings tab Then
a) Do a fresh install of the OS, either 8.3.2 or 9.1.1, to a new 4-8Gb flash drive
b) Import existing volume
c) Restore your old configuration (Freenas GUI settings tab)
d) Run a scrub

Just to confirm do I need to do a new install? And if I do the import volume function is in the GUI? And it reads the volume data from the HDDS?
If I don't do a fresh install would my old USB FreeNAS struggle due to all the different hardware?

Without a new USB stick could I back up the old one? And fresh install FreeNAS onto it?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Import config is in the same place the export was...
It doesn't matter if you use the same USB drive. He was listing best practice method. This isn't windows. You move between hardware freely

Sent from my Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.