Migrating Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDMcGrew

Dabbler
Good morning, again!

The inevitable time has come for me to migrate hardware. Those that might remember my original build would recall that I used the not-so-recommended RocketRAID 750 controllers because that's what I had at the time and it's starting to bite me, I need to fix it now, while it's on my terms and not later when I endure a crash :smile:

So my question is, I need to migrate my hardware to something different. Will I need to reinstall FreeNAS or should I expect the new hardware to just boot my existing flash drive and find the new hardware? Will my ZDEV's move?

My current hardware:

45 Drive POD 4.0 with 8x WD Red 4TB, 4X WD Red 1TB and 2x 120GB SSD's.
SuperMicro X8SCM-F Motherboard with a Xeon and 8GB.
2x RocketRAID 750 controllers.
1x Intel i340-T4
Booting from a SanDisk 16GB USB Stick

My new hardware:
SuperMicro 846E Chasis supporting 24 HDD's with 2x 900W PSU's
SuperMicro X8DTF Motherboard with 2x Xeon's and 48GB
1x LSI 9211-8i controller (do I need 2)
1x Intel i340-T4

It'd be very nice if I could just move the drives and USB stick, have it boot and work. This is a production server. However, I do have the ability to move the data off the server and reinstall from scratch if I really have to. Of course I'd prefer not to do that but it's not the end of the world if I do.

Thanks!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Yep, should be fine just moving the drives (Boot and Data) over to the new system. Of course you will have to reconfigure the NICs though. I think that LSI 9211-8i would be in IT Mode by default, but you may want to make sure that it is not in IR Mode first. As far as if you need two; I have not checked info on the backplane so I am not sure...

As always, get a recent backup of your config (just in case)...

BDMcGrew

Dabbler
... and, for anyone looking in the future, this does in fact work as advertised. My new hardware was similar enough to the old that I does guess drivers were an issue but all came up just fine. Now, on to other hardware problems :)

Status
Not open for further replies.