moving file .system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosin0416

Patron
Hello,

I post this subject because I would like to have more information about the "system dataset pool" option. From what I red on the forum and on the net,
this tab corresponds to the hidden file ".system" that we have by default in the first created pool. Do I have right up to now?

It is said in the doc in the chapter 5.6: "he persistent system dataset. The system dataset stores debugging core files and Samba4 metadata such as the user/group cache and share
level permissions. If the FreeNAS® system is configured to be a Domain Controller, all of the domain controller state
is stored there as well, including domain controller users and groups."
What are these files exactly? Sorry, I am a beginner...
Indeed, I would like to create a pool (hard disk or ssd or USB flash) only for these files because I noticed that my hard disks do not enter into standby due to the writing on these files.
Since my FreeNAS will rarely be used (only some accesses per month), I would like that my disks enter into standby if there is no activity in order to increase
their longevity.
What can happen if a failure occurs on the zpool containing the .system and that should have for effect to lose all these data (zpool with .system that is separated of the data zpool)?
What can be the consequences?

I hope to be clear enough on my subject.
Regards

Rosin0416

Patron
Hello,
No, I didn't find a precise answer.
I found some other elements on this forum and on the internet, but I do not know what do exactly mean these files, and if they are extremely important? if they can compromise data integrity?
The .system is well the repertory /var ? No?
With no response I think create a second pool mirrored 160Go for .system and for jails to separate the data to the files. But I do not know if Iam right.
Thanks.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.