moving drives to new rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

messerchmidt

Explorer
hi all, i want to move my 3 drive raid-z pool to my new xeon 1230v3 build from my old system.

Do I just remove the drives from the old server and put them in the new build or? this will not cause data loss or?

I was reading here -> http://web.freenas.org/images/resources/freenas9.2.1/freenas9.2.1_guide.pdf

on auto importing volumes, but wanted to asked first before I screwed something up.

I setup freenas on a usb stick on the new build already.

fracai

Guru
You should be able to just move the drives.

It wasn't a new case, but I replaced the motherboard, CPU, and RAM with the drives staying in place. That's essentially the same thing you're doing. If you're using encryption make sure you have the keys saved. And make sure your config backup is up to date.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Correct, you probably can skip the new USB stick and just move your existing USB stick and drives to the new machine and as long as you're careful to make sure it is all there that first boot, you should be good.

I suggest stopping the loader process and using "boot -s" to go to single user mode, then doing a "camcontrol devlist" to make sure all your devices show up, then if that looks cool just type "reboot" and let it do its thing. This is mainly because if you don't make sure all your drives show happily, then there could be badness.

messerchmidt

Explorer
i setup freenas 9.3 without any drives connected onto a new usb key on my new rig.

after it was done, did a factory reset, shut down, connected the drives, booted up, and the wizard found it and all seems to be good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.