moving disk(s) between controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyb78

Explorer
Hi all,
I have a 8.1SVN installation on dedicated hardware, with E3300 CPU, 2GB of RAM, 4 2TB sata disks in RAIDZ full ZFS.
all 4 disks are connected to ICH7 integrated controller.
to increase the performance i'll move two disks to a new more performant controller.

What should I do to preserve my data?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Also, no that you probably are not getting any better performance until you upgrade your RAM, the ICH7 is unlikely to be the bottleneck...

dannyb78

Explorer
RAIDZ will not go offline if I move 2 of 4 disks in the same pool? Or should I move one disk once, replacing it in GUI and resilvering the pool?

About my RAM system actually dont use swap so I suppose that this can be sufficient for my config. Anyway I'll be upgrading my RAM in near future.
memory-1d.png
swap-1d.png

thanks for helping me.

dannyb78

Explorer
Wow

great job guys!!!

as you told I just swith off my nas, moved both disks and at poweron all was right working, with all volumes online and healty!

I'll let you know If this increased NSA perfomances. I needed one extra sata port for a service disk, in my mind using 2 ports instead of 4 may give me more free bandwidth.

If anyone is interested Asrock SATA3 pci ex card
http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/card.asp?Model=SATA3 Card

is fully compatible with freebsd 8.2 ;)
Dont expect sata3 performance from this cheap controller, it's worst than a ICH10 integrated controller, but if you need two extra sata ports at low price you can look at this.

sorry for bad english :(

EDIT: transferring files from/to my desktop increased from 50MBs to 60MBs. same hardware but with G45/ICH10R (instead of G31/ICH7) perform more than 80MB/s, but my old P45 card has left us... RIP :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.