Lenovo TS 440 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason B

Dabbler

Jason B

Dabbler
OK. so I am logged on to my FreeNAS server using the web interface and following along with the hard drive burn in testing guide (see link below). I have opened a shell window and executed the first burn in command.

smartctl -t short /dev/adaX

After entering this command a message is displayed "Please wait 1 minute for the test to complete" then command returns immediately to the shell prompt. I guess I was kind of expecting the process to run in the shell window showing output form the test. As you can see I haven't used this OS before (I haven't used Unix in 20 years nor Linux in 10 years). So I assume the smart test process is running in the background. Where can I see the state, or status, of these processes. This process/job/task information is not listed in the [How To] Hard Drive Burn-In Testing thread:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-hard-drive-burn-in-testing.21451/

Jason B

Dabbler
Not knowing the state of the test, I decided to run the next "conveyance". An error message returned stating the following:

=== START OF OFFLINE IMMEDIATE AND SELF-TEST SECTION ===
Conveyance Self-test functions not supported

Another thread mentions that if the disk does not support it, you can't run it. I can run short and long tests though. However it would be nice if someone would describe how to monitor the smart test that is running in the background to know, at least, when it's done and, at best, the test status or output.

Inxsible

Guru
It should tell you the approximate time it would take to finish, right when you start it. Once the time is up, check the results using
Code:
smartctl -a /dev/device
See this thread for more info.

Redcoat

MVP
GSmartControl will allow you to watch the SMART test progress (it's also included in the GParted Live distribution).

Jason B

Dabbler
OK. I've started the long test for all 6 of my hard drives. I assume I can log off now (disconect from the Web Interface) and check tomorrow to see if the tests have finished before I start the badblock tests. Is this correct?

Jason B

Dabbler
The smart long test command, for each drive, said it would take about 322 minutes (about 5.4 hours). I'll try the checking the results when I log on tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Jason B

Dabbler
Before running badblocks, test I was wondering how to interpret the test results from the command:

smartctl -a /dev/da0

To what should I pay particular attention? Below is an example of my output:

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x000b 100 100 016 Pre-fail Always - 0
2 Throughput_Performance 0x0005 134 134 054 Pre-fail Offline - 87
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0007 100 100 024 Pre-fail Always - 0
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 1
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 100 100 005 Pre-fail Always - 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x000b 100 100 067 Pre-fail Always - 0
8 Seek_Time_Performance 0x0005 123 123 020 Pre-fail Offline - 31
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 39
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0013 100 100 060 Pre-fail Always - 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 1
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 2
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 2
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0002 181 181 000 Old_age Always - 33 (Min/Max 22/35)
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0022 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0008 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x000a 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 32 -
# 2 Short offline Completed without error 00% 27 -
# 3 Short offline Completed without error 00% 40673 -
# 4 Short offline Completed without error 00% 39537 -

Inxsible

Guru
The thread I linked to earlier indicates what variables are important.

In short : Current_Pending_Sector, Offline_Uncorrectable and Reallocated_Sector_Ct are the ones to look at. What the values actually mean is detailed in the thread too.

as a side note, could you use code tags to display outputs. Makes it easier to read.

Jason B

Dabbler
I guess it helps to Read the Manual (Guide) before posting questions. :|

I found in the guide:

Some of the more important fields right now include the Reallocated_Sector_Ct, Current_Pending_Sector, and Offline_Uncorrectable lines. All of these should have a RAW_VALUE of 0.

Jason B

Dabbler
Next test: badblocks.

First I should say that I'm doing all this work from a shell in the Web Interface. Now I've run tmux and started the badblocks test on my first drive but I cannot seem to start a parallel session (i.e. Ctl+B ") by opening a new shell prompt. In order to enter the double quote of course you need to press the shift key. So its really Ctl+B and Shift+".

The output from the shell command looks like the following:

# badblocks -b 4096 -ns /dev/da0
Checking for badblocks (non-destructive read-write test)
Testing with random pattern: set_o_direct: Inappropriate ioctl for device
^B^B^B^B 0.18% done, 4:21 elapsed. (0.0.0 errors)

The ^B above was my attempt to start a new shell prompt in the bottom half of the terminal window.
Am I doing something wrong? Is it required to do these commands from the server console? It seems to be running fine in the Web Interface shell, I just can't start a new shell instance.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Next test: badblocks.

First I should say that I'm doing all this work from a shell in the Web Interface. Now I've run tmux and started the badblocks test on my first drive but I cannot seem to start a parallel session (i.e. Ctl+B ") by opening a new shell prompt. In order to enter the double quote of course you need to press the shift key. So its really Ctl+B and Shift+".

The output from the shell command looks like the following:

# badblocks -b 4096 -ns /dev/da0
Checking for badblocks (non-destructive read-write test)
Testing with random pattern: set_o_direct: Inappropriate ioctl for device
^B^B^B^B 0.18% done, 4:21 elapsed. (0.0.0 errors)

The ^B above was my attempt to start a new shell prompt in the bottom half of the terminal window.
Am I doing something wrong? Is it required to do these commands from the server console? It seems to be running fine in the Web Interface shell, I just can't start a new shell instance.
I have always done Ctrl+b then c to create a new window. Then Ctrl+b and n to flip through the Windows.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Inxsible

Guru
you can choose not to run a multiplexer and simply let the badblocks finish and then start on the next drive. This would increase the time required to finish the test on all drives by a huge margin.

Running them in parallel saves that time and you get to quickly set up your storage :)

danb35

Hall of Famer
First I should say that I'm doing all this work from a shell in the Web Interface.
That's your problem. Don't do that. Enable SSH on your server and use an SSH client. The Web GUI's shell access is greatly limited in many ways, including (but not limited to) its handling of control characters.

Jason B

Dabbler
That's your problem. Don't do that. Enable SSH on your server and use an SSH client. The Web GUI's shell access is greatly limited in many ways, including (but not limited to) its handling of control characters.

Yeah, that's what I thought. It's just convenient to login using the Web Interface on my home (local) network.

I don't have an SSH client. I googled "SSH client" saw many. I enabled SSH in my FreeNAS Web Interface. Then I tried the SSH Addon for Chrome but it didn't connect. Looked like the server refused the connection. Everything appeared setup correctly and I didn't want to spend time trouble shooting. So I tried TeraTerm. I've used that at work and it worked for me.

Yep, that was the problem. The Web Interface shell does not handle control characters well.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Jason B

Dabbler
So I'm playing around with tmux in an SSH connection to my server. I entered "tmux" to start a tmux session and I was able to create a horizontal split for my session window using Ctl+b Shift+". After detaching from both the sessions (Ctl+d), back at the SSH terminal I enter tmux again and try the same thing and it's not working. I'm not sure what I did to cause this.

OK I googled "tmux prefix command not working" and just figured out the problem. When it worked I had pressed Ctl+b, then I must have released the keys (this is the key), followed by Shift+". When it wasn't working I was pressing and holding Ctl+b and Shift+". I did this because for some apps at work I must press and hold a three key sequence and I was thinking these tmux commands were four key sequences. I guess I got lucky when it worked.

I'm just trying to figure out tmux so I can run badblocks tests on all my disks in parallel.

Jason B

Dabbler
So now at will I can create multiple splits in my window to create multiple panes. Also I have created new windows with Ctl+b c and switched between them with Ctl+b n, where 'n' is the window number. I have also learned to create multiple panes Ctl+b " in a tmux window and switch between them using Ctl+b o.

That point about "releasing" the prefix key (Ctl+b) before pressing a command key is crucial but not intuitive.

Jason B

Dabbler
According to thread https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-hard-drive-burn-in-testing.21451/ does the comment below imply that losing an SSH connection while the badblocks tests are running in tmux, they will keep running in the tmux sessions? I hope this is what it means because this it what I plan to do.

Code:
 It also means that if you start it over SSH and lose your connection, the test will be canceled. The answer to this is to use a utility called tmux:

Inxsible

Guru
Yes. The multiplexer keeps running the tests and then you can login via ssh again and re-attach to the multiplexer to view the status/results
I did these tests right in the Shell in the WebUI and it worked fine for me. I wonder why you are having issues with the Ctrl+B in the shell.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't have an SSH client.
For Windows, PuTTY and Bitvise are two popular choices, with PuTTY probably the most popular. With Mac or Linux, you already have one, just open a terminal window and type ssh user@hostname.

Status
Not open for further replies.