Moving a large data set and managing disk space

Martin Aspeli

Dabbler
Hi,

I have a large directory (350Gb or so). It lived in a pool, /foo, and then I moved it by accident to a directory that was in a different pool, /bar, using the standard mv shell command.

Then I moved it back. It’s not done yet. But my FreeNAS is rapidly running out of space. I expect this is because it isn’t flushing the old files as it goes until it’s moved everything.

I think maybe this is because it’s keeping the data on /bar (which from memory has a more defensive snapshot policy than /foo).

How can I safely move the data back to the right place without filling up my disk?

And if it fails half way through, how can I best complete the transfer? The data is deeply nested and in thousands of files.

sretalla