Moved zvol, different size afterwards

chuck32

Guru
I recently switched to trueNAS as my hypervisor. With some trouble I was able to install Home Assistant and that seems to be working too. Today I took two 2.5" SSDs (with my pci sata card) and created a mirror to store all my apps and VM data. I needed to move the home assistant zvol for that. I didn't want all the I/O on my storage pool, which consists of HDDs.

I followed this guide to install HA (write the raw HassOS image to zvol) and allocated 50 gb to the zvol. To move to the new SSD pool I used:

Code:
zfs snapshot -r pool1/homeassistant@relocate
zfs send pool1/homeassistant@relocate | zfs receive -v pool2/homeassistant

The new zvol has only 4 gb data written instead of 35 gb (also for some reason now 55 gb are allocated, I deleted the @relocate snapshot via the GUI).
1676300675693.png

1676300699319.png

Home assistant is working and recognizes the 50 gb allocation:
1676300713365.png

Can I safely delete the old zvol or is there still some dependency on it?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Provisioning type: Sparse means you won't necessarily be using all the blocks...

You'll see that the larger/original was Provisioning type: Thick (write/own all the blocks even if not used yet)

I think that mostly explains the difference.

chuck32

Guru
So basically I can ignore the difference in size then and delete the original zvol? I'll create a snapshort first anyway to just be sure.

I posted the commands I used, I didn't intentionally change the provisioning type. Nothing wrong with sparse I guess?

I didn't really catch that detail, thank you! Now that you pointed it out it's blatant though.

sretalla