Moved to New Server - Pools Not Available

Dravinian

Dabbler
Hey All,

Stretching my legs a bit here so hoping someone with a bit of all round knowledge can help me.

I exported my Config file and have that, and it loads fine.

I moved all of my drives to a HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9 - with a 12x 3.5" HDD bay arrangement.

When I load TrueNAS, it shows my pools but says they are not available. When I use the command:
Code:
zpool import
it says "No Pools available to import."

When I use
Code:
gpart list
- I only have the boot drive.

When I go into the configuration of the HP ProLiant, it shows 11 "unassigned" drives. I do not want to create any arrays or anything with those drives nor do I want to erase the data - which appears to be the only options available to me.

Anyone know how I can get the drives that are seen by the HP to be seen by TrueNAS?

Thanks!

Apollo

Wizard
When I load TrueNAS, it shows my pools but says they are not available. When I use the command: Code:
zpool import
it says "No Pools available to import."
As you have stated, you have imported your TrueNAS configuration and as such is already aware of the pool existence and is expected to have the drives available to be able to use them.
As a result, you can't import the pool because it is already part of the configuration. It will ignore this pool and is expected to discover other ones.
If you were to export the pool, being careful as not to destroy its the content (just in case), you could try importing it again.

I suspect the issue is with your disk controller. Is this a RAID controller?

When I go into the configuration of the HP ProLiant, it shows 11 "unassigned" drives. I do not want to create any arrays or anything with those drives nor do I want to erase the data - which appears to be the only options available to me.
If you attempt to create an array, or set the drives as JBOD using the configuration of the HP ProLiant, you will most likely loose your data.

If you still have access to the old server, I would suggest you move the disk back and see if you will get access to your data.
If you do, then I would look at the new server and figure out what could be wrong.
If you have a spare disk, I would experiment with it to see what you get and be familiar with the process.
If you still can't get the spare drive to be recognized, then you need to find out why.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sounds like another run-in with HPE's awesome RAID controllers.

What's the output of camcontrol devlist and lspci?

Dravinian

Dabbler
I think it is the RAID controller.

I am trying to find out now (after continuing to research) whether I have HBA Mode on the P840 that is in there. I think if I can bypass that and get a passthrough then TrueNAS will see the drives.

Having a look at HPs website now...

Manual suggests that it has HBA and Raid Mode:

Which is step one - now step two - how do I enable that in the HP ProLiant...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Actually, that's more or less irrelevant. Those things are terrible. You really should install a suitable LSI HBA instead.

Dravinian

Dabbler
Actually - I had been wondering whether to do this or not - or whether to use the server for something else and keep TrueNAS where it was...

I think I will get some drives for it over time and use it as a backup for the stuff on TrueNAS that I care about, I know should be "off premises" as well - but one back up is better than no back ups - and also move some of the VMs I am running on TrueNAS over to that machine as it is set up to do that job well.