move USB-boot to SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrMuppet

Contributor
Hi,

i would like to move my freenas-boot from a mirrored USB thumb drive to a SSD. The easiest way i thought of would be to replace one stick with the drive via GUI-replace and then, when it is resilvered i would deteach the other USB drive. Is this the best way? Or should i better reinstall to the ssd with a new stick and inport the old setup file?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Or should i better reinstall to the ssd with a new stick and inport the old setup file?
This. Simpler and faster, most likely. And the boot pool would use all the space available on your SSD this way (autoexpand isn't turned on for the boot pool by default).

mrMuppet

Contributor
Ok. Will do it this way.

New Question: I ordered two 32GB SSD. What do you think: Is it better to use both as a mirrored boot-media or should i use one for booting and one to put my small jails on it? I'm using Unifi and iobroker that do little writing of log files. Than i could allow the "normal" Z2-raid media to go to standby. I think they are only used for about 7 Hours a day. I would install a daily backup of both SSD to the big drive.

diedrichg

Wizard
Single SSD with regular config backups via Cron. There are tutorials on the forum.

mrMuppet

Contributor
Ok. But as i read here there is no reason to let the raid spin down. Perhaps i use the second SSD as a mirror or i send it back ...

diedrichg

Wizard
I have two Reds that are 3 years, 5 months, 25 days old, and two Reds that are 2 years, 11 months and 6 days old - all of which have been spinning 24/7 for their entire life.

Status
Not open for further replies.