Issues with boot drive, replaced and moved to 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

H3llscr3am

Cadet
Hey guys, I was previously on 10.0.2 (Corral), and the UI/VMs were really sluggish after about a month of uptime, after a reboot, I was getting issues in grub when I tried to load any of the options, it would spam me 4x stating that I needed to load the kernel first. and then drop me back at the grub menu... no idea what happened there.

So I decided to replace the drive with an SSD (32GB), thinking corruption on the USB stick, and move on up to 11. I've installed the 11 RC ISO to the SSD, and I can't mount my Corral pool/VOLUME. I used Corral's option to encrypt without a passphrase, and auto decrypt on boot. I still have the corrupt/USB key, wondering the best way to approach mounting my pool/Volume from my previous FreeNAS build.

Any suggestions/advice are greatly appreciated.

Stux

MVP

H3llscr3am

Cadet
Stux,

thanks for the article, seems I need to boot into my previous Corral USB stick and recover my encryption keys.... any tips on how to do that?

When I attempt to boot it, drops me to the grub> menu after saying error Checksum validation failed.

If I place FreeNAS 11 install media, and select the USB Key it detects the previous FreeNAS install and says it will keep my configuration, but does that keep my encryption keys? will my old boot options still reside on that USB Key?

Status
Not open for further replies.