Move to bigger thumb drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doglover

Dabbler
Good evening. I currently have a working 9.2 system on a 2 GB thumb drive. Need to move it to an 8 GB thumb drive, but can't find the recommended procedure. Can you please direct me to it?
Thanks very much, luv FreeNAS.
Happy 2015
IMF

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
1. Save configuration file
2. Install os on new USB
3. Upload old configuration file

feleven

Dabbler
1. Save configuration file
2. Install os on new USB
3. Upload old configuration file

I'm in the same boat, except moving from 4GB to 16GB flash drive - now that initial-release-bugs have been more or less worked out, its time to move up to 9.3. But first I need a larger boot drive.

When you say "install os on new USB", this is done as if installing FreeNAS on a new xxGB USB flash drive for a new system, without regard for existing drives and jails and all the rest - right? Then importing the saved config file modifies the new boot drive so it has the same setup as the original (sees and can access the volumes, the jails, the scheduled scrubs and cron'd rsync backups and all the rest). Just clarifying my understanding before I bork something - I have a nicely working system with ZFS drives serving my media just the way I like it. I'd like to minimize post-resizing surprises going through this exercise.

Thanks SnL for the concise answer, and to doglover for asking my exact question!

I'm in the same boat, except moving from 4GB to 16GB flash drive - now that initial-release-bugs have been more or less worked out, its time to move up to 9.3. But first I need a larger boot drive.

When you say "install os on new USB", this is done as if installing FreeNAS on a new xxGB USB flash drive for a new system, without regard for existing drives and jails and all the rest - right? Then importing the saved config file modifies the new boot drive so it has the same setup as the original (sees and can access the volumes, the jails, the scheduled scrubs and cron'd rsync backups and all the rest). Just clarifying my understanding before I bork something - I have a nicely working system with ZFS drives serving my media just the way I like it. I'd like to minimize post-resizing surprises going through this exercise.

Thanks SnL for the concise answer, and to doglover for asking my exact question!
Almost correct. After install, follow the wizard to import your pool, volume, etc. After that, import the config file and you are ready to go :)

feleven

Dabbler
Thanks for that Rilo (BTW - that's a GREAT avatar! ). So I'll just use the 9.3 iso to install FN on my new 16GB card, run the Wizard, then import the saved config. Sounds easy (famous last words :) ). Looking forward to the many new 9.3 features.

Thanks and you're welcome.
Now gimme my cookie.

Easygoer

Explorer
Kindly confirm that a 8GB stick (Corsair Voyager) is still adequate to run the 9.3 OS?. Thanks.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yes.

Easygoer

Explorer
Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.