mountroot issue when adding a drive

icos66

Cadet
Hi all,

I run TrueNAS Core since about a year on my home server. This was my first contact with FreeBSD and zfs so my experience is limited and I ran into a mountroot issue that I couldn't find solved anywhere and hope to get some hints to unblock me.

My original configuration was:
Supermirco X11SCL-IF with Core i3-9100F and 2x16GB Kingston DDR4-2666 ECC
1x500GB M.2 NVME Kingston SA2000M8 (boot)​
3x12TB Seagate Exos X16 in RAIDZ1 (pool1)​
DeLock 3xSATA + 2xM.2 SATA PCI Express x4 card with 3x18TB Seagate Exos X18 (single drives)​
This configuration works fine, although the disk names of pool1 were renamed ada3-5 after adding the 3 18TB drives (that are now ada0-2). Which I only found annoying for the reporting.

If I add a M.2 SATA SSD to one of the free slots on the PCI card I run into the mountroot issue and can't boot.
The BIOS boot order is correct (otherwise I couldn't panic with the mountroot, right?), i.e. boot from Kingston M.2. I disabled any boot support from the PCI card as well.
The system is now on TrueNAS 12.2-U8, but the issue is independent from the release and happend before as well.

From my limited FreeBSD/zfs understanding the boot process is successfully loading zfsloader and kernel but then the disk list seen by the kernel is different to what the BIOS used for booting. Since it requires physically inserting/removing the SATA SSD to check any configurations I now hope to understand the issue better before further searching and guessing. So, your expertise is very welcome!

And if anyone has a hint how to avoid the device renaming of the other drives this would also be helpful.
Thanks in advance!

Cord