Mounting zvol snapshots through iSCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

byroncollege

Dabbler
Hi all,
I've searched the forums and couldn't find any additional information on this.
I have a zvol shared through iSCSI which is formatted as NTFS by the client.
This works great and snapshots are taken of the zvol daily.

If I clone a snapshot and add it in iSCSI as an extent, assign it a target and then try and mount it from a windows machine, the extent is found but it cannot recognise the format and still thinks it is read only.

What is the best way to go about this? Is there an additional step I need to undertake to get the snapshoted extent to line up the metadata and offsets? Or is this not possible at all.
If it isn't possible why have zvol snapshots at all?

Thanks in advance!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I haven't tried to do this on Windows, but on ESXi it is a little more complicated because it has a signature on the disk that now is on 2 disks, and both are trying to be mounted simultaneously. I'm not sure if there would be a problem like that on Windows. I don't have Windows machine that I could use with iSCSI though. :(

byroncollege

Dabbler
I haven't tried to do this on Windows, but on ESXi it is a little more complicated because it has a signature on the disk that now is on 2 disks, and both are trying to be mounted simultaneously. I'm not sure if there would be a problem like that on Windows. I don't have Windows machine that I could use with iSCSI though. :(
Hey your right! I was trying to mount it on the same machine. In windows it must be because the GUID's are the same or something.

So anyone looking to do this, either unmount the original disk first, then mount the next one; or I created a second initiator, connected the snapshot to that to make sure I wasn't getting the original extent and mounted it to another machine.
Great! ZFS and FreeNAS brilliance again :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Please let me know if that works or not. I would like to know since I can't test this myself. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.