Migrating Data from iSCSI zvol to dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antix

Cadet
Hi,

Following one of my other posts regarding iSCSI performance issues, I'm now looking for a faster way to migrate my data from an NTFS formatted iSCSI zvol extent to a ZFS dataset. I have migrated other smaller LUNs using a Windows Server, however the process is fairly slow and I'm seeing only about 30MB/s on average. I have around 150TB to move in total so this would take a large amount of time.

I am wondering given the zvol is formatted as NTFS inside, could I mount this on the FreeNAS directly and then move the files to my dataset using mv, then perhaps re-apply permissions on the dataset within the FreeNAS GUI to fix up any permissions that may or may not have been migrated from the file copy.

I've found another thread here which outlines a similar case, however the solution in that case was to create a .img file of the zvol which isn't practical in my case due to the data size: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-ntfs-local-mounting-issue.56945/#post-399993

So a couple of questions:
1. Is it possible to mount an NTFS formatted zvol directly to the FreeNAS (eg using some form of mount or ntfs_mount command?), if so what command could I use? I know on Linux I'd use something similar to 'mount -t ntfs /dev/mapper/xxx /mnt/xxx' however I'm not too familiar with FreeBSD or zvols under the hood.
2. If 1 is possible, is it reasonable to expect faster file move/copy performance by doing this operation locally on the FreeNAS compared to an external Windows Server which has connectivity to both an SMB share of the dataset and the iSCSI target mounted?

Status
Not open for further replies.