Mount SMB V2+ share into a jail, send help!

Itay1778

Patron
Hi, I need help to mount an smb share within Plex's jail, the problem is I need it to be SMB v2 or higher
I can not use SMB v1.

What options do I have? And I highly prefer not to use NFS

Thanks in advance

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
In the FreeBSD base system - no chance. FreeBSD does not support anything but SMB1 and I have argued that they should entirely remove it because it is next to worthless that way.

You could try to install the Fuse module inside the jail, then load it in the NAS host system and perform the mount in the jail. Have not tried that, yet, but the software exists and is supposed to be stable.

Since it contains a kernel module it is absolutely necessary to have the jail you use for installation run the same version of FreeBSD as the host system.

BTW - are you running an outdated FreeBSD version? Because you posted in the "FreeNAS (Legacy Software Releases)" section. If that is indeed the case first of all you need to update your FreeNAS/TrueNAS to a current supported version, e.g. TN CORE 13.0.

HTH,
Patrick

Itay1778

Patron
In the FreeBSD base system - no chance. FreeBSD does not support anything but SMB1 and I have argued that they should entirely remove it because it is next to worthless that way.

You could try to install the Fuse module inside the jail, then load it in the NAS host system and perform the mount in the jail. Have not tried that, yet, but the software exists and is supposed to be stable.

Since it contains a kernel module it is absolutely necessary to have the jail you use for installation run the same version of FreeBSD as the host system.

BTW - are you running an outdated FreeBSD version? Because you posted in the "FreeNAS (Legacy Software Releases)" section. If that is indeed the case first of all you need to update your FreeNAS/TrueNAS to a current supported version, e.g. TN CORE 13.0.

HTH,
Patrick
Thanks for the quick reply,
I did not notice where I posted, my mistake. I am running a relatively recent version of TrueNAS Core -12.0-U8.1
I tried to use Fuse but did not understand how to, there are no guides I didn't find anything.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Install the fuse package I linked above in the jail (pkg add). Then use kldload /path/to/jail/something/.../foo.kmod to load it in the host system. Then with mount privilege in the jail enabled, you should be able to perform the mount inside the jail. The jail must be 12.3 and there is a chance loading the module will crash your system. pkg info -l ... inside the jail after installation will tell you the exact names and paths of the modules.

If loading the module does indeed provoke a crash, you can try a 13.1 jail on TN 13 ...
If that also crashes, you need to compile from source, i.e. use ports instead of the package.

Welcome to the world of forcing unsupported things :wink:

Itay1778

Patron
Install the fuse package I linked above in the jail (pkg add). Then use kldload /path/to/jail/something/.../foo.kmod to load it in the host system. Then with mount privilege in the jail enabled, you should be able to perform the mount inside the jail. The jail must be 12.3 and there is a chance loading the module will crash your system. pkg info -l ... inside the jail after installation will tell you the exact names and paths of the modules.

If loading the module does indeed provoke a crash, you can try a 13.1 jail on TN 13 ...

Welcome to the world of forcing unsupported things :wink:
Thanks, I'll try tomorrow. Hope this works