Mount NTFS Drive to Win10 VM or share over SMB

layerblend

Cadet
So I have a couple HDD(non RAID) that I used in my old workstation just to hold project files not the OS. I believe they are formatted as NTFS. My question is can I plug them into my Freeenas box, import them maintaing the data intact and share them over SMB to my new WIn10 workstation or maybe mount it on a Win10 VM? Maybe I'm wrong but I'm under the impression and disk I bring into freenas I must clean/wipe and reformat in order to use it. Please help!

I'm no expert but I dont believe you can. From what I've read and experienced, it will always delete everything thats on the drive. I had a similar situation and the way I solved it was by having all my data on an external hard drive, setup your pool, set up SMB and then transfer all the files onto the SMB share.

In windows 10, you can also share your files with another windows 10 machine if you didnt want to go the freenas route.

On another note, if you're using freenas I strongly recommend some sort of raid configuration with your hard drives. A couple years back a hard drive I had with many pictures failed and I was unable to recover them.

layerblend

Cadet
I'm no expert but I don't believe you can. From what I've read and experienced, it will always delete everything thats on the drive. I had a similar situation and the way I solved it was by having all my data on an external hard drive, setup your pool, set up SMB and then transfer all the files onto the SMB share.

In windows 10, you can also share your files with another windows 10 machine if you didnt want to go the freenas route.

On another note, if you're using freenas I strongly recommend some sort of raid configuration with your hard drives. A couple years back a hard drive I had with many pictures failed and I was unable to recover them.
Thanks for your help. I was trying to avoid opening my mini-itx workstation to add these two HDD in order to get the data out of it. I also have empty hot swap bays in my Freenas server that makes it very easy to plugin a drive. But I kept digging around and it looks like I can only import NTFS drives with read only permissions. All I'm looking for here is to copy the data into one of my RAIDZ2 pools. I'll try this sometime today.

And yes I definitely use RAIDZ2 on a 6 drive plus 1 spare pool.

Adrian

Contributor
I have never used it, but see the "Importing a Disk (section 10.3 for 11.3):
The Storage ➞ Import Disk screen, shown in Figure 10.6.1, is used to import disks that are formatted with UFS (BSD Unix), FAT(MSDOS) or NTFS (Windows), or EXT2 (Linux) filesystems. This is a designed to be used as a one-time import, copying the data from that disk into a dataset on the FreeNAS® system. Only one disk can be imported at a time.