Mount one disk of a mirrored ZFS

DD4711

Contributor
Hello all,

I'm currently planning my disk upgrade. Currently I have two mirrored spinning disks in a four bay HPE Microserver. They will be replaced by three SSD's in a ZFS RAID-Z2. I want to migrate my data through a ZFS replication from the spinning disks to the new ones. But I have only four bays. My question is: can I mount only one disk of my old ones from the mirrored disks put in the fourth bay? Would I destroy in some way the ZFS Raid? I want to keep them for a while as "backup" to get back if something fails.

Thanks for your answer.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
three SSD's in a ZFS RAID-Z2
Unfortunately not, RAIDZ2 is minimum 4 disks.

can I mount only one disk of my old ones from the mirrored disks put in the fourth bay? Would I destroy in some way the ZFS Raid?
That would work. Importing the pool may require CLI intervention as a degraded pool can cause the GUI some difficulty on a pool that wasn't already imported.

You could also detach one of the drives from the mirror in the first system (but not erase the contents if prompted), which would leave you with a healthy single disk pool on the original system and another disk with a full copy to put in the new one.

DD4711

Contributor
Hello @sretalla ,

thanks for your answer.

Yes, I meant Z1, it was a mistypo.

It is the same Server, only the disks will be replaced. OK, your last tip is what I would prefer. Detach one drive of the mirrored ones. then I have three bays left for the new SSDs.

Thanks for that!