Motherboard for HP SAS Expander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
in my current setup I use 2 SAS boards: a reflashed IBM 1015 as SAS controller and a 24 ports HP SAS expander.

Which motherboard do you suggest that supports the expander ALONE (the board whould have a SAS controller built in) and has those features:

IPMI
ECC
Socket 1151 or 1150
VT-x and VT-D well implemented
2 10/100/1000
1 PCi-e 3.0 slot
Different x8 x4 slots
SAS Controller able to connect to HP Extender.

Note: LAN with offload engine is welcome or a PCI-e LAN card with offload engine name.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
X10SL7-F or X11SSL-CF

Why do you want a new motherboard?

I have a 11 years old Tyan K8WE with 2 opteron and 16GB of memory.
I see only 8 GB
I often have communnication errors on northbrige and checksum errors on ECC memory (all of them corrected)
Before it will die with all of my data I need to move to another motherboard ;-)

Note, both boards you have suggested are PCIe 3.0 x8 in x16 and not X16 in X16. I need the latter.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can't get 16x with an onboard SAS controller (without PCIe switches, at least). The CPU doesn't have enough lanes.

You'd need a Xeon E5 for that. However, x8 is enough connectivity for nearly everything, are you sure you need x16?

Hi,
from time to time I have friends at home, I connect a Geeforce, boot partition is switched and I use it for a few our as secondary game machine.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi,
from time to time I have friends at home, I connect a Geeforce, boot partition is switched and I use it for a few our as secondary game machine.
The fact that it's not a very good idea aside, PCIe 3.0 x8 is plenty for most graphics cards.

Do you know where I could find something to power on my HP sas expander without a motherboard ? I need only a PCIe socket with electricity. HP sas expander use no logic from the motherboard, only current.

In this scenario I could change my specifications to have only one PCIe x16 slot and no X8.

Regards,
Giuseppe Chillemi

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks for pointing me this device. As far I have understood it is for low bandwitdh scenario where USB 3.0 is used to connect to a PCIe x1 slot. I suppose it could be used without this cable connected or am I supposing something wrong ?

Also, I have 2 more questions:

1) You have written about PCIe switches. What are they ?

2) I can't find a filter for "motherboards with SAS" on PC part picker. Where could I find a good list of motherboards with sas controller ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.