Mixed Permissions Linux & Windows

peteforde

Dabbler
Hi

Firstly is it true to say that TrueNAs is not designed to have mixed permissions on a share for both Windows and Linux.

We are an Animation studio and have teams working on both Linux and Windows. We get a lot of errors that directory or files are locked for Windows users. We also can not among windowspermissions via Active Directory as needed. I am in the process of setting up a test share to work through these issues, any help would be great. We are currently on FreeNas and about to upgrade to TrueNAS Core this week.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi

Firstly is it true to say that TrueNAs is not designed to have mixed permissions on a share for both Windows and Linux.
No. Permissions work the same regardless of clients. I use both all the time. Permissions just have to be configured correctly.

We are an Animation studio and have teams working on both Linux and Windows. We get a lot of errors that directory or files are locked for Windows users.
Might be that files are being created with incorrect permissions. Depending on mount options in Linux, some operations like `chmod` may overwrite the permissions that the admin sets in unexpected ways.

We also can not among windowspermissions via Active Directory as needed. I am in the process of setting up a test share to work through these issues, any help would be great. We are currently on FreeNas and about to upgrade to TrueNAS Core this week.
Ah, there are lots of issues that were fixed between 11.3 and latest Core.

peteforde

Dabbler
bit of a typo in th initial post "We also can not adjust/administer windows permissions via Active Directory as needed"