Missing spare disk after upgrade

hipoter

Cadet
Hi,

I've realized checking one of my pools that the spare disk is missing. I suspect that it is comming when i did the upgrade from core to scale. Can you help me to set the spare disk back to the pool ?

Code:
root@truenas[~]# zpool status -v MyPool
  pool: MyPool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 05:11:04 with 0 errors on Mon Mar 18 05:11:05 2024
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        MyPool      ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdb2    ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdc2    ONLINE       0     0     0
            sda2    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Regards

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
Need a little more information:
1. What version did you start on
2. Which release of Cobia do you have deployed.
3. Does the disk in question show in the Storage > Disks view? does it show it as assigned to a pool.

If the disk is available & not currently assigned: From the storage page in the WebUI, select Manage Devices for the pool, and then an option is shown at the top right to add a vdev; you can add a spare through this.

hipoter

Cadet
Need a little more information:
1. What version did you start on => TrueNAS-13.0-STABLE
2. Which release of Cobia do you have deployed. => 6.1.71
3. Does the disk in question show in the Storage > Disks view? does it show it as assigned to a pool. => Yes it does
1710849992017.png

If the disk is available & not currently assigned: From the storage page in the WebUI, select Manage Devices for the pool, and then an option is shown at the top right to add a vdev; you can add a spare through this.

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
The first extract you posted indicated there were 3 drives sda, sdb and sdc in the pool and the above screenshot suggests they are in the pool. I am unsure of the specific issue you are facing, which disk do you have an issue with?

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
So on upgrade from core, the spare disk was added into the mirror and the type updated to RAIDZ1? This was a 2 wide mirror previously? The upgrade would not change the topology of the pool from a mirror to a RAIDZ1.

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
I just ran a test going from 13.0-U6.1 to 23.10.2, the spare remained on upgrade.
I suggest reporting a bug using the link at the top of the forums.

hipoter

Cadet
The initial setup i did was 2 disk and 1 spare.

Forgot to mention that once working in scale i performed the zpool upgrade as i saw a notification recomending it. Not sure when it became like that but i'd really like to have a spare disk back.

I guess, the pool right now might be at risk if i lose one disk. I've not found any way to set the spare disk back from an assigned disk. Maybe the solution is to rebuild the pool.

1710873999437.png

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
I just did the pool upgrade and my mirror remained with a spare, I cannot think of how it could change your mirror to a RAIDZ1 due to this upgrade. Do you have the config file stored from before the upgrade?

hipoter

Cadet
Unfortunally not. The reason is because i decided to perform a fresh install for scale and import the pool. Sorry for that i should have tell you before, just remember it now. This is the flow i followed.

1 - Initial pool creation under Core
2 - Fresh install Scale
3 - Import pool created In Core
4 - Upgrade zpool version of the imported pool
5 - Its been more than 80% capacity used for some months