Mirrored vdevs - expanding pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody White

Dabbler
Good Morning Everyone!!!

So currently I am using mirrored vdevs in my pool and I started out with 8x 1.5TiB drive and I have been replacing them over time with 3TiB drives. I have since completed the update and I am now running on 8x 3TiB drives with a total pool of 12 TiB +/- swap.

So i guess my question is to answer something I was wondering in the past but will arise in the future as well.

On my original pool I had 1.5 TiB drives totaling 6TiB and I was using the array as I was upgrading it and in my mind I thought as long as I upgrade all drives to 3TiB before I hit 6TiB of usage the reslivers would be fairly quick as I would be just relivereing the mirrored drive. So my question is if my data increased over 6TiB becasue some mirrored vdevs were 3TiB drives would the array resliver the whole pool to equalize drive usage.

Let me ask another way.
When my current pool of 8x 3TiB starts to fill up and I start adding more drives will the resliver process balance the pool over 5 stripped disks instead of 4? Or will it just add raw data to the 5th pair thus reducing the possible speed increase for another stripped disk.

From the research I have been doing it looks like i need 5.3 striped drives to saturate by SAS Bus and I am wondering if I have screwed myself by starting with a 4 drive setup.

I hope I made that clear enough, I have looked online for the answer but I have been unable to find that specific answer I have found of a lot of explanations on raidz but not mirrored vdevs.

Thank You !

maglin

Patron
The added mirrors will get new and modified data. ZFS won't balance the pool and apart from copying data to a new dataset there is no way to balance the data att.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.