Mirror Pool disappearing, ATA Status Errors. Help Needed.

djidji perroto

Dabbler
My FreeNAS-11.3-U5 system's main main pool became unavailable. After a restart a very long series of error messages appeared with the following repeating.

(ada2:ahcich2:0:0:0): Retrying command
(aprobe0:ahcich2:0:0:0): SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE. ACB: ef 03 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 46 00
(aprobe0:ahcich2:0:0:0): CAM status: ATA Status Error
(aprobe0:ahcich2:0:0:0): ATA status: 61 (DRDY DF ERR), error: 04 (ABRT )
The pool is formed by a mirror of 6TB Wester Digital Reds (WD60EFAX) and was running without major issues.
My last action before the crash was replacing a long-failed fan (one of a couple), which means adding a bit of more consumption to the PSU.
What is strange for me is that (obviously) both drives fail with the same symptoms.
I'm looking for a way to recover the data and potentially rebuild the pool.

Alecmascot

Guru
Those WD60EFAX are SMR drives and are unsuitable for use with FreeNAS/TrueNAS.
We need more hardware info to comment on possible problems elsewhere.

djidji perroto

Dabbler
Thanks.
Obviously I need to do some reading on SMR drives as this is the first time I'm hearing the term. I started here briefly but unfortunately the damage has already been done.
Can somebody suggest a basic troubleshooting method that can show if data can be salvaged from the drives or not?
Also, what kind of additional hardware info should I supply?
I'm running a DIY 4-drive system, with 2 pools, each a mirror of 2 drives. Pool1 contains all my data (the WD's), Pool2 is empty and used for tests (very old, unreliable drives).
It is a home system used for backups of laptops, network shares, etc. Peak number of clients is usually 1.
Pool1 is currently shown in the guy as Offline, no drives available.
Upon restart the system tries to import it, resulting in a very long series of error messages before it gives up.

djidji perroto

Dabbler
Self-update: After reading a post by a another user who has zpool import issues (non-SMR drive related) I'm planning to attempt a SystemRescue - based data import.
I'm facing the following dilemma though - even if I somehow manage to salvage my data, I'll still be stuck with 2 (actually 3, one stand-by) 6TB WD SMR drives which apparently are not good for ZFS.
Should I try to get rid of them or is there a way to use them with safety measures?
All the info I've read was related to poor performance which could lead to data loss if multiple drives fail at the same time.
I'm still not sure what exactly happened to my drives but it looks really unlikely that two drives fail at the same time with no warning, after 6 months of usage...

djidji perroto

Dabbler
Update/Wrap-up: I finally took my SMR drives to a data recovery company, along with a 3rd exact same drive, that had been sitting in my drawer as a cold spare. The verdict was two damaged second-level translators. I got my data back, wedding photos and all, on the cold spare and I have a brand new mirrored pair of Seagate ST6000VN001s I'm currently restoring to. My next step will be to script a weekly snapshot of the really-really-important-stuff to another mirror of (older) drives. Then I'll probably run badblocks on the remaining WD60EFAX until it fails and I'll send it for replacement (I still have 2Y+ of warranty on it). Moral of the story - mirrored drives can only go part of the way, and if your data is important for you, you should google 'backup 3-2-1' and put it into practice.