Mirror an exsisting Z2 8 drive array

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheelsca

Cadet
I have a 8 x 4Tb array in Z2 and want to know if I can add another array the same and mirror the first without losing any data?

What steps would I take if possible.

Thanks,
Ron (Freenas newbie)

Mihalich

Patron
Do you want to add eight drives to make a mirror of RAIDZ2?

From manual:
When adding disks to increase the capacity of a volume, ZFS supports the addition of virtual devices, or vdevs, to an existing ZFS pool. A vdev can be a single disk, a stripe, a mirror, a RAIDZ1, RAIDZ2, or a RAIDZ3. After a vdev is created, more drives cannot be added to that vdev. However, a new vdev can be striped with another of the same type of existing vdev to increase the overall size of the volume. Extending a volume often involves striping similar vdevs. Here are some examples:

• to extend a ZFS stripe, add one or more disks. Since there is no redundancy, disks do not have to be added in the same quantity as the existing stripe.
  • to extend a ZFS mirror, add the same number of drives. The resulting striped mirror is a RAID 10. For example, if ten new drives are available, a mirror of two drives could be created initially, then extended by creating another mirror of two drives, and repeating three more times until all ten drives have been added.
  • to extend a three drive RAIDZ1, add three additional drives. The result is a RAIDZ+0, similar to RAID 50 on a hardware controller.
  • to extend a RAIDZ2 requires a minimum of four additional drives. The result is a RAIDZ2+0, similar to RAID 60 on a hardware controller.
If an attempt is made to add a non-matching number of disks to the existing vdev, an error message appears, indicating the number of disks that are required. Select the correct number of disks to continue.

Last edited:

wheelsca

Cadet
Thanks for the reply.

From reading I understand RAIDZ2 is pretty safe with a two drive failure possible, but lately in my world if something can go wrong, it will. I repair home computers for a living but am new to Freenas. I have had some customers ask if they can pay me to keep their data backed up when I reinstall their computers. I am looking for the best, fail safe way to do this. The last thing I need is to lose a customers data.

Am I really safe with the 8 x 4tb Z2 in an external case or should this be mirrored for extra safety? What are the odds of a complete Z2 failure?

Thanks again,
Ron

Stux

MVP
Set up another pool and replicate one to the other. Preferably on a separate machine.

Then you can tell your customers that their data is double backed up to multiple dual redundancy high integrity data pools.

Mihalich

Patron
We are talking about a complete failure of two disks in RAIDZ2, but the array will continue to work. For greater reliability, you can use RAIDZ3 or replicate data from freenas to another server.

Status
Not open for further replies.