Mikrotik and a firewall

adam23450

Contributor
I would like to block access to my switch on my LAN which has an IP address of 192.168.0.2 for the entire LAN and allow for a given address in the LAN, ie 192.168.0.5. How to make these rules? I've been struggling with it for 2 days and I can't think of anything.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Uh, what? How is your firewall going to do that? It is not between your client and your switch.

If you want to block access to a switch's management IP, you need one of the following:

1) have the switch's management port to be on the far side of the firewall (perhaps on a different VLAN routed by the firewall/router)

2) have the switch's management port ACL'd off by the switch's software that defines what hosts are allowed to access it

3) have the switch's silicon do filtering ("on-network firewalling")

These require progressively more advanced switches. The cheapest consumer-grade switches don't offer VLAN's, the lowest tier of IP-enabled switches may not allow ACL's for management, and it takes a mid-tier enterprise grade switch to do filtering.

adam23450

Contributor
Uh, what? How is your firewall going to do that? It is not between your client and your switch.

If you want to block access to a switch's management IP, you need one of the following:

1) have the switch's management port to be on the far side of the firewall (perhaps on a different VLAN routed by the firewall/router)

2) have the switch's management port ACL'd off by the switch's software that defines what hosts are allowed to access it

3) have the switch's silicon do filtering ("on-network firewalling")

These require progressively more advanced switches. The cheapest consumer-grade switches don't offer VLAN's, the lowest tier of IP-enabled switches may not allow ACL's for management, and it takes a mid-tier enterprise grade switch to do filtering.
Will I do point 2 in the switchos software from mikrotik?

Etorix

Wizard
Assuming the computer at 192.168.0.5 has two Ethernet ports, link the second port to the management interface of the Microtik switch with a crossover cable and define a static route. Configure the switch so that no traffic is routed between the management port and other ports.

adam23450

Contributor
Assuming the computer at 192.168.0.5 has two Ethernet ports, link the second port to the management interface of the Microtik switch with a crossover cable and define a static route. Configure the switch so that no traffic is routed between the management port and other ports.
My network looks like this.
One more question.
How to restrict access to the management of FreeNas over the Internet also to the address 192.168.0.5
FreeNas has an IP address of 192.168.0.9
mikrotik.PNG