SOLVED migrating native FreeNAS to virtualization - good or bad idea?

So my Router just died due to the warm temps here in Germany - im looking at you AVM >.<
I thought about going to step up my game and deploy pfsense next to Free/TrueNAS inside a VM-Host-machine, but my hardware is almost maxed out right now - so is my wallet - which leaves me with what I have right now. (look at my signature)

Should I do it?
Is it a bumpy road to success?
Is my hardware capable of doing it?
Is migration existing zpools and jails a p.i.t.a?
Proxmox or EXSi?

Heracles

Wizard
Should I do it?

No

Is it a bumpy road to success?

Very

Is my hardware capable of doing it?

Capable does not means that is will be good for it. I think that 32G of RAM will be low for an hypervisor doing too much.

Is migration existing zpools and jails a p.i.t.a?

Not only it is, there is a high risk loosing your pool and your data.

Proxmox or EXSi?

ESXi is the only hypervisor with a minimum of work done about virtualizing FreeNAS. For those who insists to virtualize FreeNAS, it is basically the only option.

I would suggest you get yourself a Netgate SG-1100 instead should you wish to run pfSense. A Raspberry PI coupled with a switch capable of .1Q vlans or a USB Ethernet adapter is another cheap option.

To virtualize FreeNAS is asking for trouble at a scale as high as the trust and dependency you put in FreeNAS : Not at all if it is just a test lab and maximum if you put your life in it and trust it to keep it safe (which it can not do without a complete backup strategy anyway...).

sretalla