Migrating from FreeBSD

jlauser

Cadet
Hi all.

I have a FreeBSD machine at home that I've been running since... basically 2003. It's gone through numerous hardware and software upgrades since then, but while I was interested in tinkering with the machine back then, today I really just want the thing to sit and do its job and not have to worry about it. As such, I'd like to migrate the machine from FreeBSD where I have to do all of the software management myself to FreeNAS where everything is more... turn-key. The machine is currently running FreeBSD 12.1.

Right now the machine essentially serves two functions:
  • File server (AFP and NFS)
  • VM host (a few Linux machines, managed by bhyve)
All of the storage on the machine is ZFS, split into two pools:
  • root pool
    • 2x SATA SSDs connected to the motherboard's SATA controller
      • mirrored vdevs
  • storage pool
    • 4x SATA HDDs connected to an LSI SAS-9217 HBA (the HP OEM branded version of the SAS-9207)
      • 2x2 mirrored vdevs
    • 2x NVMe SSDs in M.2-to-PCI adapters (the system BIOS does not support booting from NVMe devices)
      • each split into two partitions
        • mirrored logs
        • striped L2ARC
What I would like to do is install FreeNAS onto the drives that are currently the root pool and then import storage pool. Obviously I don't expect that FreeNAS will magically import all of my file share settings and VM configuration, but what I need to know is if:
  1. FreeNAS will be able to read the storage pool without risk of data loss, and
  2. Once I recreate the VMs in FreeNAS, will I be able to point them to the zvols that currently represent their virtual disks, will they work as if nothing changed?
I do have a backup of my data, but it's offsite and retrieving it would be... very time consuming (the backup machine is already running FreeNAS). I do not have sufficient hardware sitting around my house to build a new FreeNAS machine from scratch and replicate the data over.

Thanks in advance.

seanm

Guru
One thing I wonder: FreeNAS is currently on FreeBSD 11.3, do your ZFS storage pools use flags that 11.3 doesn't recognize?

jlauser

Cadet
Comparing the flags on my FreeBSD 12.1 machine versus the FreeNAS 11.3 machine... feature@large_dnode is listed on FreeBSD but not on FreeNAS. It is enabled but not active on the FreeBSD machine. The man page for zpool-features says the following about enabled:
Code:
     enabled   An administrator    has marked this    feature    as enabled on the
           pool, but the feature's on-disk format changes have not been
           made yet.  The pool can still be    imported by software that does
           not support this    feature, but changes may be made to the
           on-disk format at any time which    will move the feature to the
           active state.  Some features may    support    returning to the
           enabled state after becoming active.  See feature-specific doc-
           umentation for details.

This leads me to believe that it should be compatible.