SOLVED Migrating disks from 3.5" to 2.5"

aceniz

Dabbler
UPDATE: Chose to just import stuff manually, no easy way to migrate that way for what I was attempting.
So I decided to buy a full rack mount server instead of using the normal PC components in a 4U rack chassis. Problem I didnt think of was migrating my 6x3.5" drives.
The old system had a 2.5" 240gb SSD for boot, 4x2TB 3.5" drives as storage and 2x4TB 3.5" drives as a system dataset pool. I need to migrate the system dataset pool to the new system (its a fresh install with intention of copying config over) which is only 2.5" drives, otherwise I would have just took the old drives out and put them in the new system. Additionally, the new system I dont have any sata connections, its SAS only.
Is it worth trying to migrate it this way or just start afresh and setup everything again?

Last edited:

Etorix

Wizard
and 2x4TB 3.5" drives as a system dataset pool.
What do you mean by that? Have you made a 4 TB pool JUST to hold the system dataset???

Additionally, the new system I dont have any sata connections, its SAS only.
SAS can take and use SATA drives so no problem here either.

Arwen

MVP
You don't list what the 2.5" disks are, (SSD or HDD), nor models.

Most larger capacity 2.5" HDD, (Hard Disk Drives), are SMR and not suitable for use with ZFS.

That said, I do use a 2.5" 2TB laptop drive in my miniature media server with ZFS, (not TrueNAS...). It works fine for my purpose, but speed for a simple 1 person playing 1080p movie / T.V. show does not stress the configuration at all. I don't know that this 2.5" 2TB laptop drive is SMR. SMR issues only came up years after I started using it. (And since it worked for my limited use, I've left it in place.)

aceniz

Dabbler
What do you mean by that? Have you made a 4 TB pool JUST to hold the system dataset???

SAS can take and use SATA drives so no problem here either.
Yeh the 2x4tb are in raid 1 i think, just a 4tb pool, and it has all the jails.

The server only has 2.5" slots so cant just slot them in or I'd just do that.
You don't list what the 2.5" disks are, (SSD or HDD), nor models.

Most larger capacity 2.5" HDD, (Hard Disk Drives), are SMR and not suitable for use with ZFS.

That said, I do use a 2.5" 2TB laptop drive in my miniature media server with ZFS, (not TrueNAS...). It works fine for my purpose, but speed for a simple 1 person playing 1080p movie / T.V. show does not stress the configuration at all. I don't know that this 2.5" 2TB laptop drive is SMR. SMR issues only came up years after I started using it. (And since it worked for my limited use, I've left it in place.)
The 2.5" drives are all just HDD, theres 3x300gb, 2x900gb and a 1.2tb sas drives all in caddies.
My server has a urbackup jail (mapped to bigger storage), a plex server (only mapped to my diskshelf), adguard and a Minecraft server which is only 2 users.

Etorix

Wizard
Yeh the 2x4tb are in raid 1 i think, just a 4tb pool, and it has all the jails.
OK, an app/VM/jail pool. With two drives, it can only be a mirror (equivalent to "RAID 1", but very different from "raidz1").

The 2.5" drives are all just HDD, theres 3x300gb, 2x900gb and a 1.2tb sas drives all in caddies.
You're going to have an issue with capacity… How are you going to arrange that?

aceniz

Dabbler
OK, an app/VM/jail pool. With two drives, it can only be a mirror (equivalent to "RAID 1", but very different from "raidz1").

You're going to have an issue with capacity… How are you going to arrange that?
Yeh those 2 are just mirrored, the 4tb system dataset pool only has 500gb ish used, The 6TB pool (4x2TB, raidz1) has approx 700gb used. I'm gonna forgo using the URbackup server on the new install until I get bigger drives/arrays for the main server.
I think ultimately I might just transfer manually and set up all the settings and plugins again manually.