Migrate FreeNAS to dedicated server

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckied

Cadet
Hello guys,

I'm hoping someone with experience can help me out here. I have a FreeNAS box running at home on a dedicated box (Pentium D 2.8 w/ 2 x 1TB drives ZFSz1 (mirror) & 4GB RAM) and I'm moving to another province, so I want to move this box to the cloud. It is used as my primary data storage for personal stuff.I also have a few online VPS's (Web/Mail/FTP/VPN) which I want to consolidate onto a single dedicated server. The problem is that I can't use ESXi as ZFS on top of a VMDK is not a good idea and while the dedicated box supports VT-d (it's a Xeon X3470 w/ 16GB RAM & 2 x 1TB WD RE4 drives) if I enable passthrough on the controller I don't have a place to host the datastore.

I was thinking about just installling FreeNAS on the dedicated box and running the necessary VPS's inside jaail's (I've been assigned a public /29 = 5 usable IP's) though I'm worried about having the FreeNAS using a public address for security reasons.

Ideally, I'd like some kind of hypervisor (either Xen or KVM though maybe bhyve on FreeBSD 10 would work) with a virtualized firewall (i.e. pfsense or openbsd w/ PF) and the FreeNAS behind an OpenVPN firewall (as it presently is).

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Please let me know if this needs any further clarification.

Thanks,

Whattteva

Wizard
I think your use case calls for something else other than FreeNAS since you seem to require a bit of customization beyond what FreeNAS is designed to do.
You'd probably be better served just going with even vanilla FreeBSD 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.