Migrate dataset to another machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

petr

Contributor
Hello!

I have built new storage server that has more efficient volume configuration and I would like to migrate all data to it, including jails:

upload_2018-2-12_20-10-33.png

Is there any "plug and play" way I could do it? I.e. without re-configuring where jails are stored, I am looking at effectively cloning the "mainsafe" dataset to another physical set of drives.

Are there any internal IDs I would need to transfer over to make sure that the newly created FreeNAS install just recognises the cloned volume?

Nick2253

Wizard
You can use zfs replication (zfs send and recieve) to copy the data.

petr

Contributor
You can use zfs replication (zfs send and recieve) to copy the data.

Thank you! Would this also cater for re-pointing all of the jails, shares set up etc. to the new volume? Basically I need to replace one of the datasets with another and then I would like to avoid any further setting up (as everything will stay the same in theory path-wise etc.).

At the moment, I've got 2x(4xraidz2 3tb) drives and I am looking to move it over to 1x(7xraidz3 8tb)

Nick2253

Wizard
Jails have two pieces: what's in the config, and what's in the drive. You need both of them to keep the jails working.

If the pool and datasets are named identically, you should be able to restore your old config on the new setup, and everything will work fine. If you have a different pool/dataset name, you'll need to tweak the paths in the jail config. I don't use plugins, so I'm not sure what may or may not work with plugins on restore.

petr

Contributor
Jails have two pieces: what's in the config, and what's in the drive. You need both of them to keep the jails working.

If the pool and datasets are named identically, you should be able to restore your old config on the new setup, and everything will work fine. If you have a different pool/dataset name, you'll need to tweak the paths in the jail config. I don't use plugins, so I'm not sure what may or may not work with plugins on restore.

Ok, since I have the luxury of having a new machine for the new build, I will try zfs replication with keeping the pool name the same.

I would have thought there may be some internal ID set but maybe identical names will just work

Nick2253

Wizard
As far as I know, only the path names matter. This has been my experience with transferring jails from one server to another.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I would have thought there may be some internal ID set but maybe identical names will just work

There are some "internal IDs" but the thing that matters for this is the path.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.