Memory shows as installed but is unavailable in SCALE

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I have a strange problem with memory in a system with an ASROCK Rack x570d4u-2L2T motherboard. I was replacing my CPU cooler recently and the CPU popped out of the socket when I removed the old cooler. No big deal. But unfortunately, when I was putting the CPU back into the socket, the table I was working on collapsed due to unstable legs. The case slid at an angle, and the CPU fell out of the socket and into a corner of the case. The CPU, a Ryzen 7 Pro 5750G, was irretrievably damaged due to bent pins.

I have ordered a new 5750G which takes a few weeks to ship, and in the meantime, I installed as a temporary replacement a Ryzen 5 Pro 3400G that I had sitting around. Things appear to work except for one big problem: SCALE now recognizes only 64 GB of RAM, even though I have 128 GB installed. In particular, I have four 32 GB DDR4 dimms of ECC memory installed.

Here is what's even more strange: when I run "dmidecode -t memory" or "lshw -class memory" from the shell, it shows all four memory modules detected for a total of 128 GB RAM. In addition, the motherboard's BMC shows 4 memory modules of 32 GB each installed.

The bottom line is this: Linux commands executed from the shell show 4 x 32 GB ==> 128 GB of RAM installed, and so does the BMC. But the SCALE UI shows only 64 GB of RAM installed, even though before the accident, the SCALE UI showed 128 GB.

Does anyone have any idea how RAM could be detected at the LINUX command shell but not available in SCALE and/or how, if at all, I can fix this? As a last resort, I'll replace the motherboard, but I'd rather not due to the expense and time required to do so.

Last edited:
First...
the CPU popped out of the socket when I removed the old cooler

And then...
unfortunately, when I was putting the CPU back into the socket, the table I was working on collapsed due to unstable legs.

And then...
The case slid at an angle, and the CPU fell out of the socket and into a corner of the case. The CPU, a Ryzen 7 Pro 5750G, was irretrievably damaged due to bent pins.

Is your name Murphy by any chance?

Patrick_3000

Contributor
LOL! Well, that's great news. I hadn't realized that some Ryzen CPUs support less memory than my motherboard's maximum, which is 128 GB, so I didn't look it up. I'll just wait for the Ryzen 7 PRO 5750G which is going to take a couple of weeks to get here. The "PRO" CPUs, which are the only ones with integrated graphics that support ECC memory, are OEM only, so they are a bit tricky to obtain, but there is one on the way, and presumably that will solve the problem.

One point of clarification: the old CPU I had sitting around that is temporarily installed is a Ryzen 5 PRO 3400G, which is different from a Ryzen 5 3400G that someone linked to, but I checked the specs for the Ryzen 5 Pro 3400G, and it also supports a max of 64 GB RAM.

Whattteva

Wizard
No his name is Linux Mint, which seems to be both your names actually! I was getting confused and thought OP was replying to himself.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer