Media server like Plex in NAS what is it's purpose? I understand the clients but not the servers.

Paul5

Contributor
I have NAS and one pool is for Media containing all media files > I have a Dumb 2007 TV with an old 2005 media player that has network connectability.

If I want to watch a movie or TV series I switch on the TV > media player > navigate to the NAS Media pool and watch what I want. No need for a server in the NAS.
If I want to watch a movie or TV series on my PC with VLC or Kodi for example same again. No need for a server in the NAS.
If If I want to watch a movie or TV series on an Orange PI with Kodi, again no need for a server in the NAS.

Could somebody explain in idiot terms for I cannot see the purpose of a media server when clients can access all.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I use my media collection exactly the same way. SMB share read/write to manage the content, NFS share read-only to view. Infuse player on Apple TV, iPad, ... works with embedded metadata - perfect.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Could somebody explain in idiot terms for I cannot see the purpose of a media server when clients can access all.
Speaking of Plex specifically since I haven't used Jellyfin at all, or Emby much, here are a few other things it can do for you that "just stream off the NAS to the TV" won't:
  • Allow external access to your media--you can watch your stuff when away from home
    • ...and, if you choose, provide access to other individuals
  • Provide mobile and desktop apps, so you can watch your stuff on pretty much any device you may have
    • ...and download media to your mobile device so you can view it offline. You can also use the mobile device as a remote.
  • Find and download metadata and artwork for your media
  • Transcode your media if necessary to use a lower bitrate, or to put it into a format that your client device(s) can play
Personally, I find the Plex UI much nicer than browsing through folders on my TV (or, as I'd previously done, on my Wii). But if you're fine with the UI you're using, and you don't need or want to view your media at any other location, a media server may not be much of a benefit for you.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
and you don't need or want to view your media at any other location
I use Nextcloud for that. Media is mounted read-only into the Nextcloud jail and configured as external storage.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If you have anyone in your home that it not technically savvy that's where plex shines. It's a nice pretty point and click UI that's as easy to use as Netflix. In my case I could just do as you do and watch things from a network share but the warden and jr need something simple to use so I use Plex.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Same for Infuse :wink:

Highly recommended.

Matt_G

Explorer
If you have anyone in your home that it not technically savvy that's where plex shines. It's a nice pretty point and click UI that's as easy to use as Netflix. In my case I could just do as you do and watch things from a network share but the warden and jr need something simple to use so I use Plex.
^^
This.

I also could just do like the OP stated, but my wife?
Not so much.

If I dumped Plex and tried to get her to just browse folders from the server directly; well, that just isn't going to fly.
Not even for an instant.
Besides, after using Plex for years now, I wouldn't like just browsing folders either.

One thing I like about Plex is being able to highlight an actor/actress in the film I'm watching, and with the press of a button, seeing all the movies I have on the server that they are in.
That can be very handy at times.

artlessknave

Wizard
plex also can dynamically transcode for devices that require very specific media types or quality settings, though that's not as common as it used to be (think: sony playstion only playing media in a sony format off of the network).
this was common around the time plex came into being, with it evolving over time to be more.