Max HDD Capacity

barkath

Cadet
Hi all,
I have a requirement of 20 TB avail storage.Free nas support 20 TB.What is the max HDD capacity of free nas.

barkath

Cadet
ok thanks\
Recommended raid 1 using 2 drives?
or Raid 5-using 3 to 4 drives? which is best..

gpsguy

Please read cyberjock's guide - https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

FreeNAS doesn't support RAID1 or RAID5. There are similarities with ZFS, for example mirroring or RAIDz2.

What is best, depends on your needs and the level of redundancy you require.

Many of the forum users use RAIDz2 for general purpose storage. For VM storage, striped mirrors are better. One of our users is doing the latter, has a system with 7 sets of 3-way mirrors, since he requires more redundancy than a traditional mirror.

danb35

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer
@barkath, none of the configurations you describe would give you 20 TB of available storage. A two-disk mirror won't because, as I mentioned above, there are no 20 TB disks on the market. A 3- or 4-disk RAIDZ1 (similar to RAID5) also won't, for about the same reason--no suitable disks are available (you could use four of the Seagate 8 TB Archive disks, but nobody seems to know how well they'll work for ZFS applications yet).

If I needed 20 TB of storage, and I cared about my data, and I wanted to do it as inexpensively as practical, I'd probably put 6 x 6 TB disks into a RAIDZ2 configuration. I could do it with 5 disks in RAIDZ1, but I wouldn't trust the system's ability to rebuild in the event of a disk failure.

Read @cyberjock's guide (the link @gpsguy gave you), and check back with your questions.

STRG

Cadet
Hi!! im making a comparative work whith FreeNas and other NAS solutions, i need to now what is the max storage capacity for FreeNas?, do you now where i can find that information from a reliable source?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer