manual and auto Snapshot/replication confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
having trouble in copying snapshot but before copy past all the errors i would like to clear my confusion because these error could be result of my confusion rather then technical error.

i first created a manual snapshot of a volume which as 50GB of data then via command like as shown in the documents wiki. "
zfs send local/data@auto-20110922.1753-2h | ssh -i /data/ssh/replication 192.168.2.6 zfs receive remote/data@auto-20110922.1753-2h"
i then copy the first manual snapshot from "PUSH" to "PULL". and as a result of this command whole data including the snapshot was copied.

on the other hand i tried the auto function of freeNAS and every thing works fine and at the end of the day all snapshots were being copied as soon as they were created which is find however the main data or you can say a data before creating my first snapshot was not being copied.

now my question is this the default behavior of manual and auto snapshot replication or in auto it also must copy the whole data all by it self like manual snapshot did for me?

Thanks,
MYK

yes, it does not copy the old data it copy only the snapshot data. btw how you (gurus) copy whole data. actually i am looking for zfs option if there is any not rsync or scp.
for example There is a scenario when you have one FreeNAS and some old data like few hundred GBs how you guy copy it through ZFS. do you guys first rsync then snapshot replication or is there any builtin zfs functionality.

Thanks,
MYK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.