Management and Data Interface solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacepipe

Dabbler
Hi Community,

I'd like to configure my FreeNAS with a Management and Data Interface to seperate the communication. I found out that's not possible to configure both interfaces in the same Subnet (or only with performance issues). Is it a easy way without huge effort in routing/firewall configuration?

BR
peacepipe

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I found out that's not possible to configure both interfaces in the same Subnet
That's because it's an invalid configuration.

Is it a easy way without huge effort in routing/firewall configuration?
Use a different subnet. I mean, the whole notion of a separate management interface makes no sense if you stick them both on the same subnet accessible to the same set of people.

peacepipe

Dabbler
But you can bind the management services to the management Interface. For me it's enough security.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
I'd like to configure my FreeNAS with a Management and Data Interface to separate the communication. I found out that's not possible to configure both interfaces in the same Subnet (or only with performance issues).

I can't see a mention of the hardware being used, especially motherboard and NICs (onboard or separate PCIe devices).

peacepipe

Dabbler
FreeNAS runs virtualized under Proxmox/KVM. I have a quad port NIC where I passed two ports through the FreeNAS VM. And I created a virtual NIC in Proxmox which I am using for the management of all VMs. The management NIC (vNIC) is coupled to another physical card (double port NIC). So I have 2 NICs with 2 different tasks. Do you need anything else to know?

c32767a

Patron
Hi Community,

I'd like to configure my FreeNAS with a Management and Data Interface to separate the communication. I found out that's not possible to configure both interfaces in the same Subnet (or only with performance issues). Is it a easy way without huge effort in routing/firewall configuration?

BR
peacepipe
There isn't a way to do that with 2 different interfaces. Some platforms allow multiple physical interfaces to be configured in the same subnet, but FreeBSD does not. This is an implantation choice by the people who maintain FreeBSD's networking code. There are conflicting opinions on whether this is the "right" way to do things, but it doesn't change the fact that the code doesn't support it.

The only thing you could do is alias additional IPs onto a single physical interface. I'm not sure you can do that in the FreeNAS UI, but it is possible in FreeBSD.

For example,

This is NOT supported:
ifconfig em0 10.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig em1 10.1.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0

This would work, however:
ifconfig em0 10.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig em0 alias 10.1.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0

Status
Not open for further replies.