manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:37] [MiddlewareError: Failed to rename Boot Environment.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BossyBear

Dabbler
November 30th 2015, I upgraded from the Update page and there was something wrong with the boot volume apparently (I wasn't able to mount my iSCSI devices from my virtual infrastructure), so I reverted to a previous boot volume. I subsequently renamed the "bad" boot volume to "FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813 - VDI not found" so that I would never use it.

Every update since then I have not been able to rename or delete this failed boot volume.

If I attempt to rename it (trying to remove the spaces - I suspect the spaces are the culprit) I get a similar error in the web page "Error: Failed to rename Boot Environment." and this in the console.

Code:
manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:37] [MiddlewareError: Failed to rename Boot Environment.

If I attempt to delete it there is an alert in the top of the web page "Failed to delete Boot Environment." but nothing in the console.

Is not being able to rename a boot volume with spaces in the name a bug?
Is there a way to manually delete the defunct boot volume?

Thank you
D

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Just to confirm, you did the original rename using the GUI? Is there anything in /var/log/messages when you try to rename?

BossyBear

Dabbler
Yes, I renamed it in the GUI initially (I was getting "VDI Not found" errors in Xencenter. The VMs hosted there were not able to see their respective disks over iSCSI.)

/var/log/messages reports
"Jan 20 08:05:59 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:37] [MiddlewareError: Failed to rename Boot Environment.]"

freenas is the hostname, original eh?

I do see this boot volume referenced in /boot/grub/grub.cfg as one would expect.

Code:
submenu "FreeNAS (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813 - VDI not found) - 2015-11-30 13:36" {
  menuentry "Normal Bootup" {
    insmod zfs
    search --no-floppy -s -l freenas-boot
    kfreebsd /ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813/@/boot/kernel/kernel
    kfreebsd_loadenv /ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813@/boot/device.hints
    set kFreeBSD.kernelname="/boot/kernel/kernel"
    kfreebsd_module /ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813/@/boot/zfs/rpool.cache type=/boot/zfs/zpool.cache
    set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813
    kfreebsd_module_elf /ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813/@/boot/kernel/ispfw.ko

D

dlavigne

Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org that contains all of the above info and post the issue number here.

Status
Not open for further replies.