man pages [resolved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
"Ever used PartedMagic?" No. How it can help?

"A jail is far larger than only the man pages" yes, but I already have a jail and even if I didn't have it, a jail is less than half a GiB (my jail uses only 385 MiB, it's a standard jail with MiniDLNA manually installed so it would be even less than that for an empty jail), so it's a drop in the ocean :)

"jails are FreeBSD 9.2 based" I don't think there is a lot of changes in the man pages between the 9.2 and 9.3 but I guess you can always update them (and as it's a jail even if you do something wrong with the update it's not a big deal) ;)

Glorious1

Guru
7) Congratulations! you can now use the man pages on FreeNAS \0/
Thanks. I'm getting an error when I try to access man pages this way:
Code:
$ man source
jexec: jail_attach(1): Operation not permitted

Bidule0hm

You're probably doing something wrong. I tested right now the exact same command in the CLI of the web GUI and it works :)

You use bash or csh?

Can you post the result of cat -e .bashrc (or .cshrc if you use csh) please?

Glorious1

Guru
I changed my default shell to bash.

~$ cat -e .bashrc
alias man='jexec transmission_1 man'$
$
~$

Bidule0hm

Why your bashrc is empty besides the line you've added?

You use the web GUI CLI or SSH?

If you use SSH: which user you use?

Glorious1

Guru
.bashrc is otherwise empty because there is nothing else in there. I created the file just for this.
I use SSH mostly. I log in as my user, not root, because that is what is recommended. I guess that's why it fails.

Bidule0hm

Ok, the only difference with my config is the user. You should try to add a sudo before the jexec ;)

Glorious1

Guru
It still doesn't work this way. For one thing, it seems my .bashrc isn't being read automatically when I log in ( I simply get "command not found" ). Then after I source .bashrc, I get the permission problem ("not permitted"). Then when I sudo, I'm back to "command not found", I guess because the super user hasn't read my .bashrc. So seems it will only work if you log in as root and have .bashrc in root's home?
Code:
[jim@Tabernacle ~]$ man source
-bash: man: command not found
[jim@Tabernacle ~]$ source .bashrc
[jim@Tabernacle ~]$ man source
jexec: jail_attach(1): Operation not permitted
[jim@Tabernacle ~]$ sudo man source
Password:
sudo: man: command not found
[jim@Tabernacle ~]$

Oh, now I see you mean add sudo to the .bashrc? That shouldn't matter should it?

Bidule0hm

"it seems my .bashrc isn't being read automatically when I log in" This is not normal. Rights problems maybe?

Yeah, adding a sudo in the alias which would give something like this: alias man='sudo jexec transmission_1 man'

Instead of making changes to the .bashrc for testing it's simpler to just do the command in the CLI, once it works you can put it in the alias ;)

Glorious1

Guru
Thanks for your help. The command works now, but for some reason .bashrc is not being read on login. My user has read and write permission to the file. Strange. I suppose I could put it in .bash_profile instead and try that.

EDIT - oops - user error. Somehow I ended up with bashrc and .bashrc. Doesn't make sense to me, but .bash_profile is working even after logging back in.

Last edited:

fracai

Guru
The ticket has been updated and it looks like the man pages will be available in the next build.

Glorious1

Guru
Cool!

RoboKaren

Contributor
I can confirm that with the latest update, I can now do man pages with FreeNAS 9.3:

Code:
[moi@moimachine] ~% man man
MAN(1)                  FreeBSD General Commands Manual                 MAN(1)

NAME
     man -- display online manual documentation pages

SYNOPSIS
     man [-adho] [-t | -w] [-M manpath] [-P pager] [-S mansect]
         [-m arch[:machine]] [-p [eprtv]] [mansect] page ...
     man -f keyword ...
     man -k keyword ...

DESCRIPTION

Status
Not open for further replies.