Making the leap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck B.

Cadet
Greetings - My name is Chuck, been poking around looking at configurations and such, but have needed a good solution for file storage for a while, and FreeNAS has always been around, just never go around to making the leap, and with a pile of 5TB drives and misc. storage sitting around, time to simplify and get going!

Already looking at a few server boards I've seen good results with, and trying to build something fairly priced, and get some of these triplets of drives I have a better home and simplify my desk a bit :smile: Been a while since I've built any sort of appliance/server stuff in-house, any suggested vendors these days? Newegg/Amazon seem neck and neck pricing wise, but any good place for ECC/CPU/MOBO?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Newegg has combinations of some Supermicro motherboards and CPUs that can be a bit cheaper than Amazon. They are not displayed consistently, sometimes it's just a CPU dropdown near the price, sometimes it's a long list of available CPUs in a bulleted list below the description.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Greetings - My name is Chuck, been poking around looking at configurations and such, but have needed a good solution for file storage for a while, and FreeNAS has always been around, just never go around to making the leap, and with a pile of 5TB drives and misc. storage sitting around, time to simplify and get going!

Already looking at a few server boards I've seen good results with, and trying to build something fairly priced, and get some of these triplets of drives I have a better home and simplify my desk a bit :) Been a while since I've built any sort of appliance/server stuff in-house, any suggested vendors these days? Newegg/Amazon seem neck and neck pricing wise, but any good place for ECC/CPU/MOBO?
Welcome!

Amazon and NewEgg usually have the best prices. Sometimes B & H or Provantage will beat them on price or availability.

eBay has tremendous deals on used server gear (Supermicro, Dell, IBM, etc.) if you know what you're looking for.

Overall, Supermicro is probably the most popular brand among forum members.

Good luck!

Chuck B.

Cadet
Hadn't thought about Ebay honestly - last server board I bought on there was a dual SLOT 1 - ah those were the days :smile: Thanks both for the info, much appreciated - saw a few Supermicro boards, ASRock stuff too, some decent options out there - I'll give the varied suggestions a peek, maybe I'll find a good combo deal on Newegg!

LT421

Cadet
Hi Chuck,

I just bought Crucial 16GB Memory with ECC Kit (2x 8GB) CT2KIT102472BD160B for $100.74 from Amazon. I paid $136.12 for the same item in Sep 2015 also from Amazon.

Hope that helps.

Luis

Status
Not open for further replies.