making a bootable NAS CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty

Cadet
Hi All;
I have downloaded both the .iso file and the .xyz (or what ever the ending is) and have Burned then on a CD.. (Not on the same CD).. I have unzipped the .xyz file using 7-zip.. I don't know what kind of file ending it ends up with.. (.img or something similair, I think)
I have windows XP on my main machine and I am using an older Nero Burning software to Burn with.. (Which I am happy with)..
None of the DVD's I have burned are bootable on my Target machine.. It has the ability to boot from CD (DVD) but not from Jumpstick, as near as I can tell.. It does ask in the Bios if I can boot from other devices, But I am not sure that works.. At least the stick isn't seen..
I have a DVD with the FreeNAS .iso on it and another with FreeNAS and a bootable Dos system, neither of them will boot from the gitgo.. With the Dos prompt, I can go to Drive "D" and see the FreeNas files as listed, But I don't know how to run either type on with an .Img or the other DVD with the .Iso file
So what file or files Do I need to Write to my DVD and in what format ??
I hope I have given enought information for someOne to answer my question.. And not confused anyone..
THANK YOU Marty

warri

Guru
Hi, you need to use a tool like ImgBurn to burn the CD. It will be bootable afterwards. If you used the Windows CD Burning Dialog, you probably just put the ISO file on the CD, and did not create a bootable CD from the ISO file.

How To Burn
1. Load ImgBurn.
2. Switch to 'Write' mode.
3. Insert Disc in Burner.
4. Select Image to burn.
5. Click 'Write' button.

Finished!

Then follow the install instructions from CDROM: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Installing_from_CDROM

EDIT: The xz file is just for GUI upgrade or if you want to create a bootable USB Stick without going the CD install route.

Marty

Cadet
Hi, you need to use a tool like ImgBurn to burn the CD. It will be bootable afterwards. If you used the Windows CD Burning Dialog, you probably just put the ISO file on the CD, and did not create a bootable CD from the ISO file.

Then follow the install instructions from CDROM: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Installing_from_CDROM

EDIT: The xz file is just for GUI upgrade or if you want to create a bootable USB Stick without going the CD install route.

Hi All;
THANK YOU, Thank You!!
This is exactly what I needed, The DVD made with ImgBurn worked right out of the Box so to speak..
THANK YOU Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.