make and gmake on FreeNAS 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Largoh

Cadet
I've been using FreeNAS .7 on an old Dell for some time now.

The main reasons I use it for is Sabnzdb, SickBeard, a Webserver, UPnP for streaming to consoles and Tablets and Windows Share.

I recently decided to install an IRC bouncer on there rather than rent one. I managed to get "make" on my box so that I could install psyBNC, but I just couldn't get gmake installled and correctly compile shroudBNC.

I followed the guide on the .7 forums on the FreeBSD jail thing which seemed to work, but now I have all sorts of issues with Sab not showing what is currently downloading, Windows shares disappearing every few seconds and more.

I felt this was a great chance to get FreeNAS 8 on and buy some new Hardware. SO I've purchased a Intel D525MW Atom D525 1.8GHz VGA Out Mini-ITX Motherboard and 2GB RAM for the new NAS.

However, a few things I'm worried about with putting FreeNAS 8 on are:

1. Can I get "make" and "gmake" on there? I want to be able to run shroudBNC. Building my own C programs would be an advantage too.

2. What's this I hear about 8 not coming with a UPnP service? fuppes was a bit crap at times and needed a reboot every few days, but it did the job. Is there a better one available and is there any media streaming service built in?

3. How easy is it to upgrade SABnzdb to the latest versions?

Thanks in advance.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You'll want to be aware that FreeNAS 8 is entirely different, and is based on NanoBSD. It doesn't directly support pretty much any of that, at least by default. You can set up a jail and load services up within it, however, you're sort of on your own if you choose that course.

Status
Not open for further replies.