Mail issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

knapert

Cadet
I've searched through the forums, and read through the FAQs, but i havent been able to find any post on my problems.

Firstly, im trying to get the mailing feature working.
I've used a very basic installation, not changed alot of pre set choices.
I was looking at some thread on how to get the mailing working, and followed that.
Just to see if anything was working i used gmails smtp server, and my own gmail account as authentication.

So, SMTP server; smtp.gmail.com
tried with and without ssl, and setting both 25 and 465 as ports used.
and, as i said used my own gmail account just to try it.
Earlier I also tried my company's own smtp server, but all tries has resulted in the same error msg.

When i try send test mail, i get: errno 8: hostname nor servname not provided, or not known.

I've seen others who've gotten errno 8, but they haven't said "hostname nor servname not provided, or not known."

So, im at a loss about what to do, and where the problem lies. It didnt seem to make any difference which server, or port, or authentication i used. Always got the same error

Thanks for any help!

knapert

Cadet
Thanks for the quick reply!

Configure in what way, do you mean?

All i've done with the root user, is i have given it an email address, and I'm not getting any emails to that.

Is there anything else I need to do, to configure the root account?

phoenix

Explorer
When i try send test mail, i get: errno 8: hostname nor servname not provided, or not known!
Have you set the DNS servers in your Network Configuration? Can you ping the mail server from the command line?

[EDIT]BTW, have you set a valid domain name in the 'From email' setting on the email settings page, if you don't the message is likely to get bounced.

knapert

Cadet
Got it working :)

It had something to do with the DNS settings i suppose, i tried using the ip for the smtp server, instead of the name, and got it working

Thanks for all replies

Status
Not open for further replies.