MacOS Monterey Time Machine dataset configuration problem

Newly arrived TrueNAS MiniX is having disagreements with MacOS Monterey Time Machine. The new Time Machine dataset is an SMB share owned by <user> with group <user> with rwx permissions down the tree. Mac OS happily mounts the volume and will let <user> create directories and files from the Mac but Time Machine gives the volume a poke and exits with message The selected network backup disk does not support the required capabilities. <user> the MacOS admin user. No secondary users are active.

As usual Apple doesn't want to worry user heads with programmer details so, off to the developer documentation to find this page Time Machine over SMB Specification. This page explains how Apple interrogates the share to determine if it can be well behaved with Time Machine.

As nearly as I can tell, my working incumbent machine Sherman and new machine Peabody are both configured the same with respect to dataset attributes and share attributes. Both are TrueNAS 12.0U8. Backup client is an M1 iMac running Monterey 12.1. And also users and groups for this dataset.

The original Time Machine archive was created with an earlier version MacOS version and the first TrueNAS/FreeNAS version having SMB released to production. Get Info indicates that the original spool dataset is a sparse bundle. Get Info describes the new dataset as shared thusly. At this point I'm out of ideas and in need of a bit of coaching. The get info for the incumbent share on Sherman is also attached. It is the one with the 17:23 time stamp. It was added second.

Yes, Mr. Peabody and Sherman. And Fruit Machine is a British submariner slang for the torpedo fire control system in British boats, specifically the target motion analysis magic. The term dates back over 70 years and remains in use through the cold war and possibly is current slang. Yes, I drove US submarines back in my miss-spent youth. And did some time on strip plot and on the position keepers. We had no slang for the electro-mechanical TMA analyzers at the ends of the alley.

Back to business. Have I overlooked/missed something? Have acts of Apple broken backup to TrueNAS SMB for new installations? This issue is critical path to migrating Sherman to become a replication target for Mr. Peabody. Music and Roon can move first. Thanks for the coaching. Can always replicate from home-brew Sherman to iX Systems Peabody while this is sorted. Sherman is about 5 years old and is beginning to need disk replacements. Plan is to keep him as a backup target for the new one.

Dave Hamby
davehamby@protonmail.com

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 17.17.00.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 17.17.00.png
    259.6 KB · Views: 189
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 17.23.45.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 17.23.45.png
    389.3 KB · Views: 192

awasb

Patron

Just works[tm] with >50 Macs over here (some Intel, some M1 — all of them MacOS 12.2.1).

The original Time Machine archive was created with an earlier version (sic!) MacOS version

Which one exactly?

BTW ...

Trying something different. Removed the share. Using replication task to replicate the working TimeMachine archive on the new server. Waiting for the dust to clear. Time Machine archive is ancient. Was an early adopter of Time Machine circa 2010. Current archive dates back to AFPS migration of previous iMac.

awasb

Patron
As long as it's properly migrated/updated with BigSur (at last), then it *should* be compatile.

Did you create the share the way shown above (screenshot in linked thread)? Please

[1] create a new test share in TrueNAS with the above shown properties,
[2] make sure guest access for that test share is disabled,
[3] restart the smb service,
[4] grab your Mac, try to disable the current backup volume on the mac side and choose the new one,
[5] hit TM -> new backup.

If it works, it's not truenas and you could try to check your old backups/sparsebundle.

As long as it's properly migrated/updated with BigSur (at last), then it *should* be compatile.

Did you create the share the way shown above (screenshot in linked thread)? Please

[1] create a new test share in TrueNAS with the above shown properties,
[2] make sure guest access for that test share is disabled,
[3] restart the smb service,
[4] grab your Mac, try to disable the current backup volume on the mac side and choose the new one,
[5] hit TM -> new backup.

If it works, it's not truenas and you could try to check your old backups/sparsebundle.
Almost there. I made another great grandchild dataset and TM rejected it. I made an immediate child dataset of Pool1 and Time Machine is giving it a try. Attempted replication failed after chugging a bit.