LSI SAS 3 (12Gb/s) issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceetan

Contributor
I too would lean towards bad cables. I've had a couple rounds of dodgy cables over the years, even when buying good quality Adaptec/LSI/Amphenol type cables. It's just the nature of the beast. I usually try to use the shortest cable that will do the job (within reason).

I guess I will have to get new cables. Is there a good way to evaluate weather it is the cables that are at fault, or if it's is the controller? Switch cables?

TXAG26

Patron
I guess I will have to get new cables. Is there a good way to evaluate weather it is the cables that are at fault, or if it's is the controller? Switch cables?

Yep, just switch a couple of the cables around and see if the issue stays with the drive or follows the cable to the next drive that it is plugged in to.

Last edited:

Ceetan

Contributor
I swapped the break-out cables* around in the SAS-ports a few days ago and the error has not reappeared:
*The same cables: The company i bought them from are slow with the RMA.

Stux

MVP
Sounds like a marginal connection

Ceetan

Contributor
Sounds like a marginal connection
Just to make sure I understand. Marginal connection related error= Stuff that happen because my cables are a bit on th edge lengthwise, or a bit poorly connected, or something like that?

Stux

MVP
Just to make sure I understand. Marginal connection related error= Stuff that happen because my cables are a bit on th edge lengthwise, or a bit poorly connected, or something like that?

Right, including a combination of those factors.

TXAG26

Patron
I meant to ask previously, what type of airflow do you have around the LSI3008 heatsink? These are meant to be in rackmount cases with horizontal front-back airflow. I believe I recall seeing specs that required at least 200LFM of airflow over the heatsink.

http://www.avagotech.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9311-8i#specifications

I have mine in a traditional case and with the PCIe cards, I zip-tie a 60mm fan to the heatsink. For the onboard 3008, I have a 120mm fan that directs airflow right across that heatsink, along with the southbridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.